putting up new ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I have a specific query about boarding over an old ceiling.

When putting up boards I will be screwing into the joist. However, if the edge of the board (parallel to the joist) is between joists, do I need to cut it and butt the next board against it so that they can both be screwed to the joist. OR can butt occur, say half way between the joists?

It will be skimmed after, so I am wondering if the lazy method will cause cracks. (The joists are at roughly 400mm centres).

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

Don't be lazy.
    The ends of the board will want to sag due to the force that keeps us on the ground.
    400mm goes nicely in to 1200mm boards, so you shouldn't be getting joints that are unsupported.
    Perhapps you need to turn your boards round 90 degrees.

And can you please get some clothes on.

3. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

OK. But I have a feeling that the joists will be all over the show as they are in the attic. Some are 400mm, some are 430mm and anywhere in between.

Thanks Sam and I am currently sourcing some clothes as it is peeing out of the heavens in Belfast.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

Is your old ceiling plasterboard or is it Lath and plaster?
    If it's Lath then you could get away with screwing in to the laths to help hold up the ends and let the main weight be taken by the screws in joists.

Or you could get a mate to hold some timber in the loft and screw in to that if your edges don't land on a joist.

Failing that trim it to size.

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

you need to plasterboard across the joists !

make sure that BOTH ends of the plasterboard are screwed into a joist, because if you dont when the skim starts to pull in and you apply more and more presure it will move and crack !. so make sure you got it right.

when you start put you hammer through the ceiling to find the joist not to bigger holes thou, and put a pencil mark by them.

Andy

6. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I am in two minds now. I might just rip down the old ceiling and put up a new one, like I did in the kitchen.

Thanks for the advice.

(Some clothes arrived today Sam but Screwfix wont let me change my name!)

7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

Don't be daft.
    Youll make a lot of mess.
    It'll take twice if not 3 times as long to do.
    You'll end up with a big pile of rubbins to get rid of
    And the Mrs will have to dust everything.