Putting up skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by legit, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

I can't believe that you are all still chewing the fat on this one.

Internal corners on skirtings should be scribed not mitred, anything else is bad practice.

.......and it's not a question of being unable to measure the angle........you don't measure angles on skirting anyway.....if necessary you mark an angle by offering up a piece of skirting to each plane and then mark the front edge on the floor......draw a line from the corner to where those marks cross and you have the angle.......

.......it's a piece of urine.........mitred internals would be very much frowned on as far as site work goes

2. Industry Insider

Industry Insider New Member

Sorry Chippy John,

For embracing modern technology that is !

Quote: .......and it's not a question of being unable to measure the angle........you don't measure angles on skirting anyway.....if necessary you mark an angle by offering up a piece of skirting to each plane and then mark the front edge on the floor......draw a line from the corner to where those marks cross and you have the angle......."

Takes fives times as long and does exactly the same as the Anglefix.

Modern sites appreciate "Quality and Production" not just doing a job a certain way because that's how I've done it for the last 30 years.

My apologies, though ,as you obviously have enough cash already to take the time to hand scribe each internal.

II.

3. panlid

panlid New Member

is it me or does industry insider seem creepy?

4. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Well, I must admit I mitre my internal angles using a gauge but I thought I would keep quiet as the money was on scribing. I always f* up cutting the scribe as I lose patience with the coping saw and then use a ton of filler :) Still, what the f* do I know?

DWD

5. Industry Insider

I'm not Creepy SID,

Just spent too many years trying to sell powertools and accessories to Tradesmen who are reluctant to embrace new ideas.

Just letting off steam.

I am only trying to help!.

II.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

this is a brilliant forum as are others [add cheesy smile here]
    just wonder what advantage people find in arguing being unhelpfull and occasionaly derogatry in the middle of a thread
    we all need a larf and to be silly but would it not be more helpfull if we concentrated the frivilous [which i do a lot]rolling eyes]in the just talk area
    it must be frustrating for anybody with an urgent problem[i am as guilty as anyone at deviating off topic[add rolling eyes]
    ok lets have a barney great or a slanging match if its your choice i just think its a little bit unfortunate when an important thread with possibly important information and other points gets lost in a slanging match

big all[add condesending stupid face here] lol

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can someone tell Big all how to do smileys, please.
    Save him a lot of typing.
    I only use 2 'cause I can't be bothered to find out how to do others.
    Type ; ) but without a space for ;)
    Type : ) but without a space for :)

Handyandy - really

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

here goes handy any took me months just to learn how to post and paste ;):)

big all

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

thanks ha lets see how long i can remeber them for
    or how long it will take me to annoy people with them:);)

big all

10. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Sorry Chippy John,
    For embracing modern technology that is !

I fail to comprehend why having a new tool that carries out a simple geometric function that carpenters have been capable of reproducing in various ways for many years should mean that skirting should now be fitted in an inferior manner.

Takes fives times as long and does exactly the same
    as the Anglefix.

It takes a few seconds, but it achieves more than that, if you have ever fitted skirting around 135s or 45s you would know that there is a bit more to it than just knowing the angle, using my method the angle is marked at the place where the skirting is going to fit, if all walls and angles were consistently perfect then just measuring would be fine, but walls are very rarely perfect.

Modern sites appreciate "Quality and Production"

Precisely: that's why they don't accept internal mitres on skirting.

My apologies, though ,as you obviously have enough
    cash already to take the time to hand scribe each
    internal.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I can earn a good days money fitting skirting on pricework.( My shares are doing quite nicely too thanks, and £30,000 in premium bonds brings in plenty of regular little bonuses.)

11. Industry Insider

I guess that's it then Chippy John.

As long as we're all happy with the way we work.

Still can't say that I agree.

II.

12. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Got agree with chippy john on this.50 odd posts on fitting skirtings.Well I sorry to tell you this,but internal corners are scribed if some of you can,t grasp this basic fact of carpentry I would hate to see what sort off carpentry these people carry out (the one,s that think it,s alright to mitre internal corners).
    I would also hope they are not promoting themselves as carpenters and worse still cherging people for their "SKILL

13. Mr. Handyandy

Got agree with chippy john on this.50 odd posts on
    fitting skirtings.Well I sorry to tell you this,but
    internal corners are scribed if some of you can,t
    grasp this basic fact of carpentry I would hate to
    see what sort off carpentry these people carry out
    (the one,s that think it,s alright to mitre internal
    corners).
    > I would also hope they are not promoting themselves
    es as carpenters and worse still cherging people for
    their "SKILL"

Oh, dear. So where is it written as a basic fact?
    I've never seen it. I also don't care which way it's done. It's the end result that's important. If you are skilled enough to make a fantastic job of mitring internal corners, who or where is it said to be wrong ?

Handyandy - really

14. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Can someone tell Big all how to do smileys, please.
    Save him a lot of typing.
    I only use 2 'cause I can't be bothered to find out
    how to do others.
    Type ; ) but without a space for ;)
    Type : ) but without a space for :)

Handyandy - really

Do a search for 'Smiley test' dated 23rd November 2003 and you will see how to make all the smilies used on the forum.
    :)

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

where is it written as fact? get real mate I cannot believe that any self respecting joiner/carpenter/wood butcher can even question the correctness of scribing internal corners on skirting. scribing is done as everyone with an ounce of knowledge to avoid shrinkage showing. whenever i see mitred internal corners having shrunk and flapping like an open gash i think 'saddle up cowboy' and so should any self respecting tradesman. everybook i have ever read,every tutor i have ever had,every job i have ever been on every bloke i have ever worked with will tell you the same story SCRIBE INTERNAL CORNERS. so if what some of you say is true they are all wrong and you are right because you have an Anglefix(incidentally a very good bit of kit) and a chop saw. stop embarrassing yourselves and accept that if you mitre internal corners you are a bodger and cannot do a scribe properly

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

thanks dewy i am frustrating L S who is trying to enlighten me on this very subject:)

big all

17. Industry Insider

goldenboy,

I am sure that scribing internal corners is the traditional way of doing the job, mainly because the angles were difficult/time consuming to calculate, before new gadjets arrived to do the Job.

Can you explain to me why a scribed Joint 'avoid shrinkage showing' when timber shrinks and expands accross it's width and not its length ?

I'm not taking the P**S here, and am seriously interested.

II.

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heres my earlier answer
    but on the internal you have the shrinkage pulling open towards the wall so if you mitre it pulls away twice as much but if you scribe it only opens up in one direction[the other piece shrinking just moves the face edge]

because in a v you have two surfaces shrinking
    but at rightangle one shrinks away from the edge of the other piece whilst the other bit shrinking just moves parralel with the other bit so only half the movement

clear as mudd eeehh:)

big all

19. panlid

panlid New Member

someone posted earlier that they mitre internally because they struggle with a coping saw. yes there are still tools out there that do require time learnt skill. the only advice i can offer when using coping saw is, to always have a sharp blade and be confident with it. even if you are not, if you ***** about with it it will fight you so to speak. you have to be confident and forceful on the downstroke and as smooth and consistant in both directions. i tell this to my apprentice and it seemed to do the trick.

20. Mr. Handyandy

where is it written as fact? get real mate I cannot
    believe that any self respecting
    joiner/carpenter/wood butcher can even question the
    correctness of scribing internal corners on skirting.
    scribing is done as everyone with an ounce of
    knowledge to avoid shrinkage showing. whenever i see
    mitred internal corners having shrunk and flapping
    like an open gash i think 'saddle up cowboy' and so
    should any self respecting tradesman. everybook i
    have ever read,every tutor i have ever had,every job
    i have ever been on every bloke i have ever worked
    with will tell you the same story SCRIBE INTERNAL
    CORNERS. so if what some of you say is true they are
    all wrong and you are right because you have an
    Anglefix(incidentally a very good bit of kit) and a
    chop saw. stop embarrassing yourselves and accept
    that if you mitre internal corners you are a bodger
    and cannot do a scribe properly

Oh! Dear. Is it just me ? Firstly, I have not said that it's wrong. Secondly, I think that you ought to tell the kitchen fitters that they ought to use a handsaw to mitre their worktops, because that's the way it's traditionally done - you know - before they invented electricity and routers and things. Huh! Or maybe we should all use hand screwdrivers instead of the cordless.
    Just because there is a tried and trusted way, doesn't mean that a different way is wrong, and won't produce a professional finish. I don't have any problem getting mitres perfect, and they won't show any more shrinkage than scribed joints. I am also very capable of making a scribed joint.
    Extra. About shrinkage. So we are led to believe that wood shrinks across it's width(across the grain).?
    Well, if the width of the skirting(when fitted)is it's height, then mitred joints won't form a gap. True?
    And if the width of the skirting is it's thickness, show me a piece of skirting that has been in for years, that is any less than the 15mm thickness that it was when it was put in.

In summary, if you make a good job of anything, and you have done it well, you have got no worries. And if you trust your own work, carry on.
    If you find it doesn't work, change it.

And all without swearwords, see.

Handyandy - really