Putting up skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by legit, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Nice one Big All,

Well explained, makes perfect sence.

Sounds like it is the best way to do it, thank God it's the way I do it too!

2. panlid

panlid New Member

bstyle i thought you were the caulking king ;)

3. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

How gay is the full stop thing!

5. panlid

panlid New Member

i did put a post that i was embarrased for getting drawn into it. does that absolve me.?

6. panlid

panlid New Member

but i didnt start it ;)

7. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Typical, start a fight and then offer to hold the coats

DWD

8. panlid

panlid New Member

who, the skirting board??

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm lost Sid about the whole arguing thing! Thats why I insert random comments! :)

10. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Why don't the skirting manufacturers make a scribed joint piece to fit to the internal corners. All you would need to do then is scarf to the jointing piece. Be worth a couple of quid for time saved.

DWD

11. panlid

panlid New Member

must agree bstyle, i wasnt on last night and when i left it i was making some serious(ish) points. i have a look today and because of a flippant remark and some bandwagon jumping all hell broke loose. like i said i am glad that kraft has starting full stopping as it means it is easier to ignore him. like i said i am embarrased about getting involved.anyway ill think of a new post to make up:)

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

REF:RIP SID makes a . look insignificant

13. panlid

panlid New Member

kraftwerk noone cares mate because you just look like a hysterical schoolgirl over reacting. like the cancerous thing it was iljudged but get a grip man. i aint gonna change for a little p*k like you so get real and understand. i am here to stay. now like youve been told by pj on the sparks forum, 'go away'

14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

15. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Got agree with chippy john on this.50 odd posts on
    fitting skirtings.Well I sorry to tell you
    this,but
    internal corners are scribed if some of you can,t
    grasp this basic fact of carpentry I would hate to
    see what sort off carpentry these people carry out
    (the one,s that think it,s alright to mitre

internal
    I would also hope they are not
    promoting themselves
    es as carpenters and worse still cherging people
    for
    their "SKILL"

Oh, dear. So where is it written as a basic
    fact?

I've never seen it. I also don't care which way it's
    done. It's the end result that's important. If you
    are skilled enough to make a fantastic job of mitring
    internal corners, who or where is it said to be wrong
    ?

Handyandy - really

WELL IT WRITTEN IN EVERY BASIC CARPENTRY BOOK .

16. plumface

plumface New Member

Right,putting up skirting board.Who would YOU pay to do it,Big All or that t***r SID?
    My money is not on a t***r!
    SCRIBE SCRIBE SCRIBE OR BECOME A LABOURER!!!!!

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh! Dear. Is it just me ? Firstly, I have not said that it's wrong. Secondly, I think that you ought to tell the kitchen fitters that they ought to use a handsaw to mitre their worktops, because that's the way it's traditionally done - you know - before they invented electricity and routers and things. Huh! Or maybe we should all use hand screwdrivers instead of the cordless.
    Just because there is a tried and trusted way, doesn't mean that a different way is wrong, and won't produce a professional finish. I don't have any problem getting mitres perfect, and they won't show any more shrinkage than scribed joints. I am also very capable of making a scribed joint.
    Extra. About shrinkage. So we are led to believe that wood shrinks across it's width(across the grain).?
    Well, if the width of the skirting(when fitted)is it's height, then mitred joints won't form a gap. True?
    And if the width of the skirting is it's thickness, show me a piece of skirting that has been in for years, that is any less than the 15mm thickness that it was when it was put in.

In summary, if you make a good job of anything, and you have done it well, you have got no worries. And if you trust your own work, carry on.
    If you find it doesn't work, change it.

OK. Splinter2. Answer that one, then.

Handyandy - really

18. panlid

panlid New Member

sorry? i thought i advocated the scribe method..must be me.

19. super diy girl

super diy girl New Member

Hi legit,

I am not sure if the question 3 has already been answered (do not have the courage to red the 6 pages!) but you can find skirting in PINE at POWELLS on Cowley Road, they have plenty.

20. jenroux

jenroux New Member

Newbie question (apologies for bringing up a potentially old thread!)

If scribing is traditionally done to minimise shrinkage then would it still be necessary to scribe if I was using mdf skirting? Or would I be able to just measure the angles and mitre the internal corners?

Am I right in thinking that there is less shrinkage with mdf?

Thanks