Putting up skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by legit, Feb 13, 2005.

1. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

yeaaa Ibet,
    If you can't get you're around the basics
    the basics of carpentry ,eg. skirting.Ishudder to think what
    the rest of you're carpentry is like

2. Atkani

Atkani New Member

Pardon me for butting in. I don't get too much of a problem with corners, mitred or scribed, but I do get plenty with shrinkage across the skirts width after the heating goes on which nearly always needs making good. Is there a way to prevent this?
    Cheers, A.t.k.a.n.i.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are we talking skirting on painted walls or wallpapered walls ?

If at all possible fit the skirting afterwards.

Not normally possible so, if you can(when painting walls), shove a thin blade(wallpaper stripping blade?)down behind the skirting all the way along to produce an ever-so-slight gap. Get your paintbrush right down there a couple of mm, then it won't show when shrunk.

If wallpapering, same principal but in this case cut paper 2-3mm long and tuck it down into the previously made gap with the same blade(I'm sure you know how easily paper rips so no need to warn you about that).

Not always possible to get a gap. In that case, paint the wall at top joint of skirting either skirting colour(ie gloss skirting before papering), or wallpaper colour(before glossing and wallpapering.

Any shrinkage will not show.

Hope this helps.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

The world of carpentry by handyandy, REAllY.

FIT SKIRTING AFTERWARDS!!!!!!!!!!

Was you dropped on you're head as a chid?????????

5. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Insert L

6. Mr. Handyandy

Fit skirting afterwards..............

.......Not normally possible............Numbhead.

If fitting new, what's the problem ?

Think before you spout shit.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. chippy age 25

chippy age 25 New Member

hi  i have to do some skirting. i am new to the carpentry gam,so few things i wanted to ask you help on.

when doing mitre for external,is it best to use eletrice mite saw or hand saw,marking bevel?
    and am i best the fix with screws and plugs or maybey lost head nails? any tips be great

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

*** learn to spell! :eek:

9. mof

mof Member

Handy Andy stop digging yourself into a hole and listen to the likes of Big Al who is obviously a tradsman, you scribe internal corners becouse that is the way it is done cos it is the best and proper way to do it. Timber skirting shrinks in the width and height not in its length, As the back of the skirting is in contact with the wall and attached to the wall the only way it can shrink is away from the front edge to the back thereby opening the mitre, if the mitre was cut at 45% initialy it will therfore be a les angle than 45% when it has shrunk opening the mitre! If the internal joint is scribed the piece of skirt that was put in first will pull away from the second piece,but that is all, so the joint will only open very slightly, hardly noticable. Also I was tought to scribe skirting with only a saw,(no coping saw) but it is easier with a coping saw.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Twaddle.

And anyway, this thread is 5 years old.

How YOU were taught has NO relevance to how it can and should be done.

I taught myself by trial and error, and when I find something that works, I stick to it.

Why would I change ?

Don't bother replying(I haven't got 5 years to wait)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. mof

mof Member

Twaddle,   ok you are right, we who have been doing it for years have been labouring under a misconception, what fools we have been, all those carpenters who have been working in great buildings like palaces and great statley homes over the last two hundred years or so. Dont you answer me I cant wait 5 years either.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Yes you are correct.

Goodbye.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hi andy
    dont vwant to be rude but i hope you don't one day decide to be a pilot, i hear self taught pilots don't last that long!

14. Mr. Handyandy

Well, if that is your idea of 'not wanting to be rude', then you are another failure.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. rhead

rhead New Member

i use  wood plugs  2nd fix ,  cut to a line  when nail.  or use grab adhesive,  use temp'  struts  till   cured