PVA as wood glue?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I have a full 5L bottle of PVA bought this summer, and still more than half left. Could it be used for gluing a cracked IKEA sofa bed slat? The slat is thin and looks very cheaply made of plywood, and is cracked and halved in two, when someone stood on it.

I read that PVA is wood glue, but it is just I always used it as diluted solution applied to the walls before plastering, never as wood glue. Just wondering if the PVA would work well for attaching the broken 2 pieces of slats into one, or is it better go and get a new Wood Glue for the job?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

10 minute workshop on youtube tested different pva and all stuck OK. Check it out.

If it says pva can stick wood then yes.
    D1 pva dissolves in water but D4 pva is waterproof. Most building pva is D1 or D2. I think. Well that's what I understand. Also OK for wood glue if it don't get wet.
    You may need to add some wood to one side and clamp overnight with the pva but it should work fine

Theleman likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Apply some sheep earwax to it too. That should help strengthen it

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Woodwork/furniture making is my hobby... PVA is what I use all the time, as do many other woodworkers, and it great for wood...

However, the way you have described the break..
    Make me think that you'd be much better off just replacing the slat with another bit of wood.
    A picture will give us a better idea.
    Cando

WillyEckerslike, koolpc and CGN like this.
  5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Not sure if IKEA would have the spare slat of the metal frame sofa bed we bought in 2001.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not ikea for wood slat. Diy store or wood / hardware shop and grab something similar

Theleman likes this.
  7. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

The slat needs to be mended, perhaps an additional piece if wood to strengthen it, using good wood glue. Also could the repaired slat be swapped for a slat in a less stressful position ?

Theleman likes this.
  8. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sure, the slat is very thin plywood, and a bit curved form. It would need some highly skilled woodworking for reproducing the replica of the slat due to the curve I thought, hence the only option for me would be to repair it by gluing it and clamping. But adding thin strip of wood to strengthen the slat is a great idea - I didn't think that far. Thanks for your advice.

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

IKEA is now 2 hour drive from us, and all the local hardware and wood shops shut in the town no longer in business. :(

I was sure that IKEA wouldn't keep parts for their 20 year old stock, now non existent in their catalogue.

10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

you can buy slats online FYI

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Will try to do some search if the part is available online. Thanks.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

14. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

For just one slat... no it wont.
    Something that spans the required distance will work just fine!
    Cando

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sure, it sounds right actually. I am gonna try to glue it first, and if no good then go to B&Q, pick up a slat, cut it for the right size, and put it into the frame.

16. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

PVA worked as wood glue very well. The snapped slat is now glued to the original straight shape, and looks solid. Thanks.