PVA for wood treatment sealant

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Grayson Lee, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Grayson Lee

Grayson Lee New Member

Let's see now......uummmmm....I'll try cutting the shed in half and then put my finger over half the lens of the camera....that should do it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Pressure washing on timber! It may eat into the grain, soft parts removed and hard parts remain. I have seen it done in an expensive Sauna - benches totally ruined by used of a pressure washer.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Nilfisk pressure washer comes with opitional low pressure nozzle.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Knowing how to operate and use the pressure washer correctly often helps always remember timber is softer than brick! ;)

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is just there as a warning ... yes low pressure nozzles and careful use can mitigate it, however when trying to remove the PVA, if it does not shift there may always be a temptation to increase the pressure or concentrate on an area - with consequences.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, wasn't having a dig, you are correct to warn others of what may or could occur! :)

7. Grayson Lee

Grayson Lee New Member

Hi, this is the originator here......I've just hooked up my (K 3.575 Jubilee) Karcher power washer and gave it go on the shed....nothing....didn't budge a bit of the PVA (its been raining most of the day, so the shed was well soaked. I was using the most powerful lance, but carefully, and it didn't move any of the white PVA. I guess its down to my "mouse" Bosch sander when the shed's dry.....or does anyone have any other (constructive) suggestions|?????

8. Fair point - it obviously needs balancing by keeping to the right distance.

But, if the OP doesn't remove all this PVA, I fear there will always be issues with subsequent coats. And I can't think of anything else that'll remove it - once it has been softened by rain.

Once clean, allow to fully dry then Lumberjack it.

Then apply summat proper... :)

9. You won't sand it off :(

Jeepers, I think you're stuffed.

Since PVA is essentially a polymer, it'll likely come off with heat, but that sounds like a painful process - tho' should be better than sanding...

10. Ok, I guess it may be worth trying the opposite approach - when it's fully dry - and clear - Zinsser BIN (or any other suitable exterior sealer) it and overcoat.

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

For MDF it's the best , cheap and simple coat, but shed out of MDF hardly.

12. Grayson Lee

Grayson Lee New Member

I'm going to have a go at reducing some photos of the shed to post but so far LENOVO PHOTO MASTER is rubbish at this so i'll have to download another photo edit program...

13. Try taking a wider shot - and then cropping it.

Or, 'Open with' your photo using Office, then you'll find a compressing/file-reduction thingy on the menu.

14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

M$ paint!
    1 right click on image- open with, find Microsoft Paint.
    once opened, resize image to ie 50%

Attached Files:

15. Grayson Lee

Grayson Lee New Member

IMG_1776 (2).JPG IMG_1776 (4).jpg

16. Nice - looks like the first frosty morn...

I'd leave it and see what happens. I doubt you'll be able to remove it, and also doubt you'll be able to do anything about overcoating it until next Summer.

See what happens :)

KIAB likes this.
  17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks like summat has jazzed all over it.

KIAB likes this.
  18. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

TBH, I doubt you''ll get it of even with season past and it will get dirty, new coat will not apply evenly...

really bad case scenario...

and Guy Fawkes night just past :(

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Hang a wreath of holly on the door and forget about it until the new year, Superdec or Barn Paint will probably be ok over this once weathered, both available in a selection of colours.

20. Grayson Lee

Grayson Lee New Member

watch this space....there will be a remedy!