pva in paste ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by topcoat, Sep 7, 2011.

1. topcoat

topcoat New Member

Now I know the mention of pva starts arguments on here but here goes. After a few jobs papering and having problems with the paper, seams lifting shrinking joints ect, why do customers get the cheapest **** paper you know the stuff like wet newspaper and then pay for a decorator to put it up . Anyway I Have been mixing some pva in the paste and getting good results and have to admit I am getting addicted and am using it more and more but I was wondering has any body got any words of wisdom on not using it. Other than any complaints you might have to the manufacturer.

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

If you've done a few jobs and have joins lifting, then you must be doing something wrong. Once, yes. Twice, yes , but a few?
    Of course it will stick harder with pva, but it will if you superglue it as well.
    I use ready mixed a lot and mix it with Solvite.

The big problem with pva in paste is when you come to strip it off. It's awful stuff. Wallpaper paste (well most of it) is designed so it can also be soaked and the paper stripped at a later stage.

A bit of an exaggerated view of pva in paste and the associated problems is...

http://www.screwfix.com/community/message/1183476#1183476

3. topcoat

topcoat New Member

That link looks like border adheasive used on a border. Are you saying you have only ever had a couple of problems with wallpaper seams?, every one i know has problems now and again with paper sometimes its the walls sometimes the paper  just saying pva in the paste gives a better grip. I dont understand why you use ready mixed paste and add solvite i thought ready mixed was meant to be stronger mainly cos most have pva in them.

4. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

If you want to use PVA in paste, then do so. If you're not  bothered about repeat work and having to strip it off,  then carry on.

5. topcoat

topcoat New Member

Wasn't having a go pal genuinely would like to know any reasons not to use pva. like i said have had good results using it, it has helped. Its the customer that matters in the end and any  repeat work i do if its a sod to fetch off then so be it it goes with the job. If there are any other reasons not to use it i want to know so problems are kept to a minimum. Customers I have always seem to get rubbish paper and  the cheapest paste they can before they look for a decorator, I never use the paste and always get my own usually solvite. I have read some older posts on here about other decorators using pva in paste and wondered what problems crop up.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Problem I can envisage is maybe being a tad more difficult to wipe residue from face of paper, maybe resulting in shiny bits in certain light(it's bad enough with just paste sometimes)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fair point there Handy, I think myself it's a sizing issue!