pva mdf edges?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by cosworth, Oct 4, 2008.

1. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello. ive read back on some of the posts on painting mdf and as ive got a bit to do shortly i wondered if itl work using pva watered down a bit to seal edges or is it best to go the proper primered route??
    thanks

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

prime using a water based primer. then follow the instrustions in the other threads. there was one not so long back

3. cosworth

cosworth New Member

thanks, guess not to the pva then.will take advice from your other posts.

4. jcts

jcts Active Member

yeah, forget the PVA

5. T-C

T-C New Member

my advice would be use Zinnser bin this will seal the surface, and will not fure up the fibers of the mdf. its really easy to rub down and gives a better finish when over coating with all paints, and no undercoat is required when priming with bin. T-C

6. jcts

jcts Active Member

zinsser is a very good product but is very expensive. a cheap primer will do the same thing. as for saying the edges will not fluff up, yes they will. your going to have to rub down what ever you do

7. T-C

T-C New Member

JCTS, water based products will raise the grain and swell the mdf, yes its an ok product to use, the bin will stop the top coating soaking into the primmer. all about choices, T-C Knotting will also seal the end grain

8. jcts

jcts Active Member

that's what i'm saying. water based primer will raise the grain so you can rub it down. this is one of the jobs of a primer ***

9. T-C

T-C New Member

if you want to give yourself more work by having to rub down more then ok use water based. i prefere bin it seals the surface, needs just a de-nib then top coat, choices.... double ***.... happy days T-C

10. hoss

hoss New Member

On the odd occasions when i do new build the carpenter uses mdf to do all the pipe boxing, which in most cases is coated with emulsion, and unless ive been lucky haven't had a problem with raising grain or swelling edgers, i think the emulsion dries quick enough before the mdf has a chance to swell.
    some purpose made mdf primers are water based

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/Paint/International-Quick-Drying-MDF-Primer/invt/44960

11. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

"mdf primer" is a fancy way of charging more. it is normal primer relabeled. I too use bin as you can rub it dont faster that anything else

12. chip off the block

oh and it dont matter if its solvent or water based. Mdf aint fussy what it soaks up.

13. jcts

jcts Active Member

100% correct about MDF primer, chip. cheap normal one will do the same thing

14. jcts

jcts Active Member

oi T-C. why use such an expensive product (a very good one, yes) when you can use a cheap one which will do the same thing. no matter what you use you are going to have to rub down

15. T-C

T-C New Member

jcts i use bin becuse its give a far supirior finish drys hard, dries quicker, and gives a better finish when overpainted with gloss , eggshell satinwood, etc. i always carry bin so to use a cheeper primmer,would meen buying it specialy. whilst i agree a cheaper one would be adaquate. its just down to personal choice, thats all. and as i only pay £22.80 plus vat its proberbly the best price in the uk. dont ask me where we have to get the best deals we can ourselves. T-C

16. chip off the block

what about using shellac sanding sealer? After all zinsser bin is white tinted shellac based product