pva on concrete

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by paul stanley brogden, May 18, 2019 at 1:23 AM.

1. Hello every one
    long storey I have converted a garage built a wood floor . The question I have is 1/4 of the garage I had to lay leveling compound. I have noticed that dust getting onto the wood floor which has a carpet installed. Any way how should i seal the cement based compound to stop dust going every where. should i use a pva solution or some kind of concrete based sealer?

thanks for your help

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Everbuild 403 Concrete Hardener & Dustproofer or similar would most likely work, but most leveling compounds are not a final surface finish, but are covered with tiles, carpet,etc.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

You will need a floorcovering over it really.

Even the high performance ones that are supposedly usuable as "wear layers" arent that resilient.

4. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

Maybe a garage floor paint. If no DPM a coat of waterproof pva first allowing it plenty of time to dry. I've used a few Everbuild products and so far like them. They always give usage details on their web site as well.

John
    -

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Levelling compound will gouge scrape and chip.

Painting it will not suffice.

Its not the same as a concrete floor.

KIAB likes this.
  6. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

Ok but thought the idea was keep the dust down and that there will be a covering on top, wood mentioned so sealing it should prevent the dust coming up. Floor paint leave a thicker coating than most similar things but isn't keen on too much moister. Everbuild are now mentioning water proof PVA for that sort of problem.

John
    -