PVA vs WP PVA vs Flooring PVA glue

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Buzzz, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Buzzz

Buzzz New Member

I'm just about to lay a 13mm t&g floating timber floor and have a huge tub of Super PVA glue (made by Unibond)that I bought a while back.

The question is, can I use this or should I be using a waterproof glue. I noticed SF sells a flooring PVA, whats the difference? My old man says all PVA is waterproof when dry?

The floor will continoue through an open plan kitchen but not the bathroom.

Thanks for the info.

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

tell your old man (politly of course to ....go back to school)as there are so many different types of poly-vynal adhesive, different mixes, concentrates, etc..etc.etc.etc
    and there are about 15-18 types that even when totally dry and have been for months will soften and dilute when wet again...so as long as it has ""D3"" on the bottle some where it is suitable for the laminate flooring..
    okay dokay.....

3. Buzzz

Buzzz New Member

Thanks Wolf, I'm going to give him a call right now.

4. kesh

kesh New Member

Hey wolf,

I've been using PVA to seal worktop joints / bath panel (laminated MDF) cuts - how long will standard PVA remain waterproof in a wet situation? I'm using Travis Perkins own brand 5l container.

5. bilco

bilco New Member

Simple answer...glue two bits of wood together and when dry stick them in the bath for about 13n3/4 min

6. dunc

dunc New Member

If the glue is more than a few months old, don't use it.

7. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Kesh

If you want to seal worktop joints etc use Extramite