PVC Damage

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rebecca Price, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

I have had a builder put in a pvc wet room for me. The plumber has damaged a panel in the shower area small hole in one underneath the shower near the shower tray can it be fixed or dose it have to be replaced advise please Thank you

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

can you post pictures up please so we can advise better.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Guess (without pictures and more info) it could more than likely be sealed with a colour matched silicone but depends on what style of panel, how visible, size of hole, how neat is the hole and, if your prepared for a bodge fix to be carried out

What has been discussed so far between yourself and plumber

Unpleasant situation for all, let’s hope it’s rectified in a gentlemanly fashion as sometimes, s*it happens :)

4. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

This is the damage that has been done. You can put your finger through the hole. 20190731_092836.jpg

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Doesn’t look good at all, not sure if someone on here can suggest a fix using coloured resin and witchcraft but, it’s always gonna show I recon

There are companies that repair chips and damage to bath surfaces so may be one avenue to explore .... but it’s only a guess

Did the plumber make you aware of the damage in the first instance and what has he suggested as a way forward ?

Would make sense for the plumber to also discuss this with the builder who did the install and see what the builder recommends, also get an idea of costs involved (for the plumber to swallow)

6. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

No found it myself so wonted some advise before contacting him

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Are these the 250/500 wide PVC panels that are stuck to the wall?

IF so, unlikely that a quality repair could be achieved and it may need replacement panelling. And it will probably need ALL of them doing to ensure matching of the panels between batches.

8. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

Yes they are, Rang him and he said he was coming back with some colored silicone I asked him which one and he says its pro 3 silicone adesive filla

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

He can try but ultimately it has to be your acceptance of it - will it match for colour and pattern? will it remain waterproof for 25 years?

Do you know the brand of panels? If so, call the manufacturer and get their advice.

10. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

Thank you will do

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's always going to show and the only way is to remove it and replace and because the other panels seals will be disturbed and may need to be replaced

Heat likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

As many of the above suggest, the panel would need replaced.
    It might be possible to replace it and 2 or 3 beside it and get them all pushed into their joints properly

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I guessed would be the ‘solution’

But ...... this is a brand new instal, panel has been damaged, any repair is gonna be a bodge and it’s not gonna be perfect

Cleaning the panels may partially dislodge the silicon over the years and I bet he’s just gonna pump a load in the hole and smear the excess over the panel face

Surely he’s got insurance for such issues as it’s his responsibility to replace

Has he actually asked / discussed the silicone approach with you ?

I guess this is an admittance that he has caused the damage so that’s a positive at least

Seems like a reasonable chap ?
    Good working relationship during job?
    Happy with the work carried out ?

Be sympathetic to him but be firm and say your not prepared to accept a repair - sorry

Was the plumber organised by the builder or yourself ?

And the clincher ........ have you fully paid for work ?

Sorry for so many questions and good luck :)

PS. Also I would imagine that any ‘repair’ would null and void the guarantee offered by panel manufacturers

This I’m sure you would be able to get in writing from manufacturer / supplier if any further leverage is needed in solving this issue

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Heat likes this.
  14. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

15. Rebecca Price

Rebecca Price New Member

Plumber supplied by builder. They would have to take out the shower cubical and tray. It was put onto a stud wall. It was a job that was supposed to take 2 weeks and has taken nearly 5 as there has been days he has not turned up. Builder is reasonable bloke been held up with all the other trades. He didnt tell me about the damage I had to ring him and this was his solution

16. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

new panel
    rest is not your concern

Heat likes this.
  17. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Might be able to get a smart repair,have used a vehicle smart repair guy to do repairs to chipped floor tiles,chipped basins,gouged pvc doors and a few more ;)