PVC to Clay Underground Drainage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Julian1, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Hi

Can anyone please advise how I can connect a PVC pipe to the socket of a clay pipe. I'm hoping to be able to save the socket when removing the cement from around the socket. Assuming I can save the socket can I cement the PVC pipe in?

If the socket breaks an I have to cut it off what the best way to connect PCV to the clay pipe.

Please advise on both scenarios......Thank you.

2. The South

The South Member

buy a flexible connector to connect the plastic to the clay pipe

one of these is what you want: www.screwfix.com/prods/19914/Plumbing/Underground-Drainage/Flexible-Adaptor

3. trench

trench New Member

Thats what you need but you'll have to cut the socket off the clay pipe with a stihl saw so you can join up the 2 sections of pipe

4. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Gents, any reason why I cannot cement in a PVC pipe into the clay socket if I'm able to save it, as it is now?

Thanks

5. The South

The South Member

I suppose you could - but I certainly wouldn't!

6. trench

trench New Member

That would be a bit rough. I would cut it and use the proper adaptor.

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Alternatively you could cement in a small length of clay pipe with no collar on it (if you have any laying about) and then plastic adapter to that.

8. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

you can get a universal adaptor for plastic to clay, if the clay is existing and the plastic is new and upstream, mc alpine make one a DC1-BL, have a look at the website www.mcalpineplumbing.com , really easy fo fit just grease the fins, it will fit into the pipe or will go into the socket. i wouldnt cement a plastic pipe into the socket as it wont stick to the plastic and isnt flexible to allow for any movement

9. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Hi, is the McAlpine DC1 - BL suitable for underground connection?

10. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

yes used them before, think b&q sell one as well if its local

11. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak Member

Osma part no.4D 107 110mm uPVC to clayware socket. Ive used one of these before, cemented it in.

12. Moto Slug

Moto Slug New Member

Julian,its VERY unlikely you will save the collar as its nigh on impossible to clean out the old cement without them breaking.

13. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Looks like the OSMA adapter will do the job if I can save the collar but the fitting instructions talk of 'Caulking with tarred yarn/gaskin' which I have not done before and then finishing off with sand/cement. Anyone ever done this process?

Thanks

14. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

its a bit like hessian , you put that in covered in tar and then fill with sand and cement, the tar makes the seal. stick with the mc alpine or similar , no tar reqd !

15. john the builder

john the builder New Member

anyone have any idea where to get this Gaskin / cauking / tarred stuff...i have the same job on..ive got the coupling 4D/107 but i need the tarry stuff.....