PVC Window Key Snapped in Window lock

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Luigi P, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Luigi P

Luigi P New Member

Hi,

A lock on the kitchen window recently became stuck and I foolishly decided to turn the key a bit more.. and it snapped. Half of the key is still in the lock and kitchen window is now unable to open, what is the cheapest and most efficient way of getting it fixed? Im renting at the moment and don't want it to come out of my deposit!

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Hi Luigi.... Is the stub of the key still in the lock? If it is, with a small electricians type screwdriver you may still be able to unlock it. Once unlocked you can turn the handle and remove it. You can still shut the window and lock it with a larger screwdriver in the windows lock square drive hole. Take the old handle to local store and replace. If you can get the broken key out you may find that the other keys from the household will fit and all will be well

3. Luigi P

Luigi P New Member

Thanks for replying, what type of electricians screwdriver would I need? The window lock is unable to open (this is why I tried to force the key to turn the window open in the first place), but getting the key stub out of the lock would be a start, also who are you referring to when you say a 'local store'? I've looked at the metal strip in the living room window for a company name or such so I could contact them but it appears to be plain.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There are a few ways to try and tackle this.
    The first question is, Do you think it is tight in there ?
    If you think it may be loose, firstly spray some WD40 into the lock and try a strong magnet to pull it out(test your remainder of key to see if it is magnetic first, quite likely it isn't).
    Secondly, once you have sprayed WD40 in there, try thumping on the window near to the handle, the reverse vibration may just pop the key part back out(remember to thump the inside, where the key is stuck in).
    A third way, still if you think it's loose, is to get your vacuum on it(use your hand to make the nozzle tight,so as to cause a strong vacuum.
    Other methods if you think it's tight.

Handyandy - really

5. Markybob

Markybob New Member

You'll find replacement window handles in bnq and here at screwfix, but you need to get the old one off first. If the stub of the key is in the lock all the pin is lifted so you just need to find a way of turning it, try manipulating the handle back and forth to loosten it. If you can get some WD30 in there this may also help. Your landlord shouldn't deduct from deposit...... this is wear and tear... his responsibility

6. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Hi Handy..... posts crossed Luigi but all good advice :)

7. shaunie

shaunie New Member

an easy way of doing this is to saw off the handle of the window with a hacksaw(its only maisac, a cheap form of aluminium)then pop out the plastic screw covers and undo the screws. get a replacement handle from the one and only screwfix direct and refit it. hey presto, as good as new.

8. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

You may be able to pull it out with long nose pliers. if not try working it out with a optical screwdriver or lock pick.

Paul

9. MarkMcCartney

MarkMcCartney New Member

you could try supa glueing the key together again. then pull it out

10. shaunie

shaunie New Member

you could try smashing the back of the lock with a 14lb sledge then replacing the whole frame with a new one, problem solved, next!

11. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I always thought PVC Window Keys were useless.
    They would be better if made from metal.

12. Stoday

Stoday New Member

I always thought PVC Window Keys were useless.
    They would be better if made from metal.

I thought they were metal. Isn't luigi talking about PVC-window keys, not PVC window-keys?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Ahhhh, the art of wit. ;)

Handyandy - really

14. panlid

panlid New Member

A third way, still if you think it's loose, is to get your vacuum on it(use your hand to make the nozzle tight,so as to cause a strong vacuum.

ahhh, the art of wit.

i hope;)

15. panlid

panlid New Member

strong magnet?
    reverse vibration?
    vacuum cleaner?

what do you think he is? 'the A team?';)

16. Mr. Handyandy

Have you ever tried these methods, Sid ?
    If not, shut the **** up.
    I have and they work.

Handyandy - really

17. panlid

panlid New Member

vacuum cleaner???????LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

18. panlid

panlid New Member

i can knock in a 4" nail with a bicycle pump.

19. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

When I got locked out of my house once I held a powerful vacuum cleaner up to the lock, then turned it 90 degrees anti clockwise, this unlocked the door and I walked in

20. Mr. Handyandy

Have you ever tried these methods, Sid ?
    If not, shut the **** up.
    I have and they work.

Handyandy - really