Q for Mudster

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Boxer Red, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

From the posts iv'e read, you seem to be a pro with tiling. My question is, and i know i asked a similar q a while ago, a cust wants upstairs bathroom floor tiled. The floor at mo is 18mm thick 8x2 t&g floorboards. Is this suff to tile? last thing i want is grout cracking because of flex.
    Any advise?
    BR

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I could post some links for you and advise as i know the answer as well, but seeing as this question is exclusively for mudster..........

3. Stevemastic

Stevemastic Member

4. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

Sorry everyone else, i consider my wrists slapped. Any ideas then?
    BR

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

make sure the boards are fixed right then you need to lay 4 mm ply ontop fix it down and tile ontop

Andy

6. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

Don't bark at me, but what is 4mm of ply gonna do to help?

7. As a minimum you need to fix 12mm ply, screwed every 150mm.

You need to use flexible adhesive and grouts.

If you do a search on here you find stacks of additional info

8. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

If i put 12mm on top of existing, it'll cause a step at the door. How'd i get around that?

9. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

use 4 mm ply mate

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

4mm ply is over engineering, I'd try some 3mm hardboard fixed with staples.

11. handyman.

handyman. New Member

nearnwales, are you a gippo?

12. handyman.

handyman. New Member

you must be a gippo, as putting 4mm ply down would actually make it worse, you idiot. It would be better to screw down whats there than cover with 4mm ply.

You do keep me in a job though, you gippo mental case

13. handyman.

handyman. New Member

4mm ply is over engineering, I'd try some 3mm
    hardboard fixed with staples.

what staple gun do you use bstyle? That sound more like the method to use ;)

14. magical trevor

magical trevor New Member

this is a classic!!! thanks guys , you made me laugh!!! :)

15. There are a number of ways of reinforcing a floor.

I'll give you the options I use. I generally fit natural products which require more rigidity in the substrate than ceramics, so these will be slightly overengineered for ceramics.

1/ Remove all the floorboards and replace with 18mm WBP ply then overboard this with aquapanel which is glued and screwed using rapid set flexible tile adhesive. I tend to do this if the floorboards are shot.

2/ Remove all the floorboards and replace with 25mm WBP, bracing any joints that fall across joists with noggins. I tend to use this method if I'm building a wet room and require a seamless floor but it can be a nuisance trying to cut back all the boards around the perimeter especially if the are supporting block walls.

3/ If the existing floorboards are nice and solid then glue and screw aquapanel directly to them. (or simply screw plywood directly to them for a porcelain or ceramic tile.

N.B.

The glue under the aquapanel is not there to adhere the two surfaces together, the screws are doing that, it's actually there to take up any voids a remove all localised movement, a useful side effect is it actually glues it very well also, this gives a similar rigidity to screwing 18mm ply over floorboards but with a smaller height increase.

At no point do you need to use marine ply, WBP is fine.

Aquapanel thermal is not structural, so if your using underfloor heating and decided to use this, it has to be added to any of the above options and does replace any of the reinforcement.

16. panlid

panlid New Member

and god said "let there be light" and there was mudster with the sun shining out of his ar*e;)

17. handyman.

handyman. New Member

mudster, would you use 4mm ply then?

18. Maybe lining paper and double sided sticky tape - minimalist approach

19. and god said "let there be light" and there was
    mudster with the sun shining out of his ar*e;)

Should I change me name to The Rev Mudster?

:)

20. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Nail the floorboards down and paint with gloss (non drip)