Quality Garden Gate

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Squashrobinson, May 25, 2019.

1. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Hi,
    Any recommendations please for where I might pick up a good quality garden gate? I think the ones in the DIY stores will be pretty poor.
    Also welcome recommendations for nice hardware. I want this to last, thanks!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What size, wooden or metal?

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Is the gate to fit an existing gap or will you make the gap fit the gate?

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Recently had some car port wooden doors made up by all-gates.co.uk. Think they will make up anything you want. Secure delivery and product well packaged, have a look on their website, think they have eBay site as well. I got 2 x doors 2.1 m x 1.1m each with full quality ironwork (hinges, lock, pad bolt etc) for about £330 delivered.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  5. Squashrobinson

To fit an existing gap, of a very narrow 2ft 5in. Would like wood as I hate the iron one that's there now.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How high.....come on meet us half way with sizes!:rolleyes:

7. robertpstubbs

Will the gate just be decorative with a latch, or will it need a secure lock?

8. Squashrobinson

6ft high and decorative more than secure

9. robertpstubbs

3 options:
    Make one yourself;
    Get somebody local to make one;
    Buy a made to measure one online (per Kas 228 above) but then who fits it?

It’s unlikely you would find the right one at a DIY store.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Recently bought one for home from a local timber yard, like you, I wanted a secure, strong gate, better than the light weigh thin tat

Door is manufactured by XL Joinery, take a look at their website under ‘External Pine Gates’

I went for Framed Ledged and Baced, 1981x762, really solid construction and great finish, cost me £70 from timber yard (xl don’t sell direct)

Nearest widths to yours are 686 / 762, so either way, your gonna have to play around

Instructions state max amount to trim doors is 25mm, height and width

On-line post code finder for your nearest stockist - worth a look

Squashrobinson likes this.
  11. Squashrobinson

Thanks a lot thats exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have seen some XL Joinery doors recently - the appear to be very good and no corners cut. Where in te country are you as I may have some reccomendations.

13. Squashrobinson

I'm in Essex

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No problem mate, happy to recommend

Treated the door with 2 coats clear timber preserver then 3 coats Bedec Barn Paint Satin

You just have the width to sort out. Maybe go for the smaller door at 686 and glue and screw additional timber strip to make up difference - either to door or frame I guess

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

In Essex
    Local timber yard highly recommended and stocked this make so I took their advice

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you use the Bedec Barn Paint which is an excellent choice thin the first coat with water 50/50 on new timber.;)

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Out of luck - Berkshire, Reading, Maidenhead wiould have been right! Know a great 2 men and their tools joinery workshop who stock XL but will also make excellent timber doors, windows, gates &c and I know they do repairs, renovations and new ones for Windsor Castle.

18. Squashrobinson

To bring this to a close, for the help of anyone looking In the future, I ended up using the ebay seller "Mr Woods" fence panels and gates.
    They made the gate to my sizing, its fully framed and 18mm tounge and groove faced.
    Furniture is a set from "GateMate" brand.
    Top quality on all counts.

Attached Files:

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Good job :)

I like choice of galvanized fittings, I always try to use this for outside, I also make the effort of using stainless steel screws.

Only minor niggle with gate is the top brace is the wrong way around? Someone will explain...

KEEPGREEN, Squashrobinson and KIAB like this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

KEEPGREEN likes this.