Question for paintycait

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tinderstick, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

Hi paintycait

I read your replies to a post regarding painting tiles.

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=55499&tstart=15

I've never tried this as I guessed it would look ****. However you suggest otherwise.

In your experience what type of brush would you recommend to get the smoothest finish on tiles? (I thought maybe a varnish brush!)

And... you said you need to paint the grout lines back in for the best effect. What type and colour paint would you use for this? White or cream tile paint is glossy so I'm guessing you wouldn't use that for a grout effect?

Hope you can shed some light

2. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

If you must paint the tiles use a short nap roller & try a grout pen on the lines

3. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

You were right tinder, they do look **** painted, regardless of how you paint them

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

They don't always look **** Bertie...I will try and find a photo of the farmhouse ones.
    If you just paint them a flat colour and paint over the grout etc...they look S*. Instead if you paint them well and make sure the finish is really hot, no heavy stipple or brushmarks or anything like that and then I hand paint the grout in...funnily enough in a ...grouty colour and I never use a grout pen, it looks too mechanical and it's the wrong medium to go over paint. A sable writer #5 is a great wee brush for just running in the lines freehand. Match the colour of grout in your paint type and thin it a bit and there you go.
    I usually paint a little design on the tiles..like a corner motif or something to make them look like they are nice french handmade expensive £100 per sq metre tiles...maybe do that on the occassional one, you can use a stencil or a stamp too. There are just tons and tons of options.

Making them look good is down to how much time you are willing to put in and your imagination. I would gladly talk you through the process..I'll try and find photos of the job I am about to redo, I'm redoing it because of a fire so current pictures aren't going to look anything I don't think...I haven't seen it yet.

I want to paint over some of my own tiles in the near future..I inherited some really nasty "feature tiles" I am going to put aluminium leaf over them and patinate the leaf...just gotta get time.

[Edited by: admin5]

5. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Sorry when I say a flat colour...I mean just a single colour...without a finish on it

6. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

Thanks for the reply paintycait.

Sorry, 'scuse my ignorance on this but...

I guess I should be using the special 'tile paint' as opposed to any other and therefore am limited to paints in this range?

And... what kind of brush you using on the surface of the tile - can you really get a smooth enameled tile-like finish with a brush???

I like your idea about hand painting designs. Don't those French style tiles have a lacquer applied over the face as well that adds a real glossy finish and protection. I'm guessing this is applied prior to furnacing with special heat resistant paints but, have you tried anything to emulate that?

Thanks again

7. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

No offence meant Painty. I am sure any tiles you have painted look brilliant. If one is willing to do all the necessary prep and then do the job painstakingly, using the right tools, I have no doubt that, on the right tiles, the finish could be splendid. I have to say, howver, that I have never seen painted tiles that look OK (apart from deliberately hand painted tiles that have been glazed over). Most look absolutelt awful

8. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I have been using Dulux Supergrip quite a lot recently and like it a lot but it is recommend that you use it in conjunction with an alkyd (what we think of as oil) based system.
    http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/wcsstore/DDCUK/en_US/ddcdatasheets/309.pdf
    There is UltraGrip which is a 2 pack and which you can put water based products over:
    http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/wcsstore/DDCUK/en_US/ddcdatasheets/308.pdf
    I have never used this product, mainly because of the fact that you have to mix the whole tin up and it only has a 6 hour pot life...after that, if there is product left you have to bin it...whereas other products you don't have that issue.
    Zinsser do a great range of products too for bonding to slippy surfaces:
    http://www.zinsser.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=10
    and
    http://www.zinsser.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=11

So, you clean really well with hot water and degreaser I use wet and dry sandpaper with the hot water and degreaser to make sure that the body fats etc are broken down and also because whatever the label says, I reckon that abrasion can only help your paint finish last longer. Then you apply the primer. I like a foam roller and I usually have a wee 1" sash brush with me too to get into the grout. I roll the surface and then lay off with the roller so as to lessen the stipple. I work about 6 tiles at a time so the area doesns't become unmanageable and the edges don't dry up on me. When dry, denib. Don't sand hard..these primers will scratch at this stage. They only cure hard when the next layer goes on. Then I use an eggshell paint, oil based or water based, whatever suits. With oil based you are less likely to get brush or roller marks. You could use undercoat and gloss if you like shine. I would denib and lightly abrade between coats of either.

You could at this stage use thinned down matt paint to make the grout. If you don't change the sheen to matt then you loose the illusion. Tinted undercoat is as good as anything, thinned and painted on if you are going down the oil based route or some matt emulsion if water based.

You could stencil, hand paint, put a paint effect on, do a raised pattern a crackleure, whatever you fancy and have the capability for and then once done ...if you go down this more decorative route, you would varnish to protect the decoration, I don't like too high a sheen...it's up to you. My favourite varnish over paint is Sikkens TS Interior which has a very pretty mid sheen lustre.

I forgot to look for the photos but next time I'm in the workshop I will.
    A bit of a tome I'm afraid.
    Cait