Question - How to fix Swollen MDF on kitchen table top

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Caleb, May 25, 2018.

  1. Caleb

    Caleb New Member

    I live in a new build and our kitchen worktop/table top has suddenly started swelling up slightly due to water spill over on it (please see attached picture).

    I've secluded the area to prevent water spillage on it, but since it's close to the kitchen sink, the chances of water spilling over it is quite possible again.

    I did check some youtube videos, but they are suggesting I sand the surface, but this might damage the coating material (not sure if it's laminated)

    Can anyone advise on how I can fix this so that it doesn't deteriorate further please?

    Attached Files:

  2. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

    New worktop I'm afraid.

    Edit: You could fill the open joint with PVA glue then squash it as flat as you can with something really really heavy (Mrs Eckerslike's handbag for instance) but all that will do is minimise further deterioration until you have a new worktop fitted.
  3. seen it all before

    seen it all before Active Member

    As above, new work top then keep the next one dry. With the best will in the world and all the silicone, work top filler etc will not keep water out of the join if it's subjected to daily amounts of excessive water.
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. longboat

    longboat Well-Known Member

    Yep, as willy said, it's knackered.
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. GrahamTaylor

    GrahamTaylor Member

    I agree with Willy - that is beyond recovery.

    You don't say how recently you have moved in but if it is recent and you haven't been pouring water all over the place go back to the developers and get them to replace it. The pictures show no sign of proper jointing compound that would have provided a strong and waterproof seal. If a proper jointing compound (the most widely used type is Colorfill ) has not been used it was not installed properly.

    Some degree of splash from a sink is inevitable. A properly installed worktop should withstand this for a good number of years. If it doesn't, the worktop or the installation is faulty.

    You could reduce the rate of further damage by smearing the seam with silicone but his would cover up evidence of the original fault so only do this if the developer has agreed to replace or you have given up any expectation of them doing so.
  6. fillyboy

    fillyboy Well-Known Member

    That joint doesn't look as though it's ever seen a tube of 'colorfill'.
    To buy another year maybe, I'd try chiselling away a few mm of the raised bit and gradually build up with black colorfill, cut off excess with a Stanley blade when dry.
    Other than that, as the others said, new worktop.
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Well-Known Member

    New worktop< end of story. That joint is nowhere near to being a proper joint regardless of whatever was used as a jointing compound.
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. big all

    big all Screwfix Select

    wow such negative comments:eek:--------------

    -----unfortunately renew is the only long term solution ;)
    and seal it propperly in the first place:rolleyes:
  9. Mr Rusty

    Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

    New build. Says it all. No jointing sealer. How new is new? I'd give the developer a chance to rectify it - perhaps do this through social media so the world sees the problem. corner cutting I'm afraid:(. The good news is, it isn't usually too huge a job to replace a worktop, and chances are the material is still current so a match to other sections can be made.
  10. To effect any improvement over the short term, you'd need either a very heavy handbag as said above, or a long-jawed G-cramp of some sort that could press very firmly on that area. Can't think of any other way to clamp down - unless you can prop against the wall units above (risky) or even the ceiling (ditto - even with a spreading panel).

    But, if you could compress that open joint to some degree, then I think I'd use something more 'wet' and suited to the task than PVA - something that'll get soaked in by these open fibres. I guess the obvious thing would be timber hardener which is used to reinforce softened and rotted timber.

    Basically get your clamp ready, soak the joint in hardener, wipe away excess, lay a piece of polythene sheet over the joint, clamp down hard - and leave.
  11. Caleb

    Caleb New Member

    Thank you everyone for your comment. the developer is Barrats Home. We moved in in year 2014 did notice a slight swelling after six months of moving in, but since I am not really into home improvement thought nothing of it. I will say that we do not deliberately pour water on it (that will be daft), but it's in a kitchen and there is moisture from cooking.

    Since reading all your replies, Ive gone ahead to inspect the entire worktop and only just notice another joint that was not sealed on the other side of the worktop.

    I travel often and never had time to look round the house, but spent the entire saturday morning checking around and could see some bits and pieces of cutting corners such as inconsistent skirting boards, punctured hole in the depth of the utility door etc. I can;'t believe I've lived in this house for this long without noticing it all.
    seen it all before likes this.
  12. Caleb

    Caleb New Member

    Thank you Graham. The developer is sending someone out to investigate the problem before "determining" if it's their fault or not. Your response here will help me argue my case before them that it was not done properly before.

    If all fails, then I will do what you and every lovely people on this thread has suggested. Thank you.

Share This Page