Question on positioning rads

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by biasqinc, Sep 26, 2009.

1. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I am about to upgrade/replace the rads in my lounge. I have an 1800mm x 600mm single rad which is behind a sofa. The sofa is 4-5 inches away from the front of the rad and there is no way of laying out the furniture. Is it worth upgrading this to a modern double rad. I know it's not ideal and it won't work to the it's full capability, but will I still see a noticeble performance increase.

I can also put a 600 x 600 (or taller) in an alcove, which has less restrictions in front of it (just a telly on a stand) and something smallish under the centre bay window.

Any advice on best upgrade options for maximum heat for my dollar.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Tray and avoid any rad directly behind the sofa. If you can add/move the rads then do so.

3. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

rads are allways better under the window imho, because it causes better cirulation of warm air and you don't loose a wall that you might want to put a welsh dresser or bookcase against, so have a gander at this site and get a price for a bay window radiator
    http://www.shivradiators.com/

4. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

If you upgrade your rad from a single to a double, then yes you will benefit from the higher output. But if you can also move your sofa away from the rads then this is the better option. Radiators only radiate 15-20% heat, the rest comes from convection heat.

5. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

rads are allways better under the window

That's OK if you can stop residents from drawing curtains across them & directing heat out of the windows.

6. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Always wondered why radiators were placed under windows. Surely they will circulate air whatever wall they are put on. Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation why they should go beneath windows?

7. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

glass lets out more heat, this causes currents of air rushing towards the window, these currents pick up the heat from the radiator and the air then rises up setting up convection around the room, and yes short curtains are advisable others wise what dormrat says will happen, will ,

8. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

Thanks for the replies. It is not possible to move the sofa and I have no wall space for a decent size rad other than where it is.

I know rads work mainly on convection, so what happens when people put radiator covers on them. It's not my style, just curious?

9. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Tomp, I understand what your saying, but, from an efficiency point of view, there must be an awful lot of heat lost through the glass. Surely if placed on any other wall the rad will create convection currents with the heat rising ?

10. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

quite right john, but the attraction to the window will dominate the direction of air flow and when it reaches the window it will go straight out without a heat input to direct it upwards,
    the only houses you see with rads on other walls than the window walls are, where the plumber found it easier for him to pipe rads back to back, in other words a lazy, grab the cash and run plumber,

11. imran_

imran_ New Member

Where you put the rad doesn't change (much) how much heat is lost through the glass. The laws of thermodynamics does all the work for you there.

Apart from heat loss, the cold through the glass also helps to create convection currents with the warm air from the rad. The same will happen, at a slower rate, wherever you put the rad.

Most homes with double glazing are suitably insulated that it doesn't really matter where they are put now. IMHO

12. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

My Auntie Ruth has three rads welded together in her bay window like this. /--\ ;)

Was is comman to do this 20-30 years ago?
    I've never seen anymore.

13. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Where you put the rad doesn't change (much) how much
    heat is lost through the glass

Imran tends to speak more sense than most. Rads were always fitted below windows for 2 reasons:

Wall space used more effectively (space below windows generally wasted otherwise)

In the days of draughty windows,the rad could create an air curtain. Not necessarily effective, but you may get a warm draught rather than a cold one!

14. Guest

Ian, we don't all stay in barrett homes.

Max, stick to your mantels.

15. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

No i agree with Tomplum and what a lovely explanation it was.

16. musky1

musky1 New Member

Max, stick to your mantels.

I see the Titmarshes cant keep their nose out either. :^O :^O