Question - Panel Purpose and Space

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Davedinho, May 16, 2018.

1. Davedinho

Davedinho New Member

Hi,

I've recently moved into a property which has this space in the kitchen next to the washing machine. Ideally I'd like to put a full size tumble dryer in the space as I don't think a 500mm dryer would be adequate.

Currently with the mdf panel to left and the skirting board to the right there is a gap of 56cm which would clearly not be sufficient for a 595mm dryer.

If the panel and skirting board were removed there would be a gap of 60cm which would be a tight squeeze, but could feasibly fit.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is the panel to the left performing any function or is it purely decorative to house the washing machine? Will removing this cause any issues?
    2. Would there be any issues caused by butting the dryer right up against the washing machine or is that a perfectly reasonable arrangement?
    [​IMG]

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

What's to the left of the washing machine because the panel is helping to hold up the worktop?

Edit: Dryer and washing machine will be fine adjacent to each other.

3. Davedinho

Davedinho New Member

Another unit with the sink to the left. The sink is right up against the right hand side of that unit so there is no room to manouvre there. Guess that means I'm out of luck right?

4. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

I'd be wary of putting washing machine and tumble dryer together with 5mm or less between them. You might be brewing up a thunderstorm once they both get going!