Questions about table saw's

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrUseless, Feb 12, 2012.

1. MrUseless

MrUseless New Member

As my profile name suggests, im not very handy when it comes to diy...  well, I get things done, just slowly...

Ive been looking at inexpensive table saw's to help cutting skirting, architrave, and laminate flooring, and was looking at the
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-sf88n5-200mm-table-saw-230v/79244#

A couple of quesitons, if anyone can advise?

Would such a saw be sutiable for cutting laminate flooring?
    I cant work out if I would be able to cut a length of wood on an angle (not bevel or mitre), so its wider at one end. I mean say for example I am on my last row of flooring, and the walls arent parallel, so one end of the laminate would need to be thinner than the other, can I adjust the rip fence to accomodate such a cut, or can you simply only align it on a straight line?

Im quite happy to spend a bit more to get somehting more suitable, if needs be.
    <h1>Thanks
    </h1>

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

3. MrUseless

MrUseless New Member

Ive already got a pull down sliding mitre saw.. wont be able to rip cut a 1200mm pice of laminate flooring with that though...  I thought it would be as simple as moving one ond of the rip fence to accomodate the difference in width at one end...

Cheers

4. joiner36

joiner36 New Member

just cut last row with jigsaw , table saw only good if you going to free cut it with no fence on.

5. brit-in-france

brit-in-france New Member

If you need to cut tapers, then a table saw with a home made taper jig (there's plenty of free plans if you google it).

Do however, use a 48 or above toothed saw blade.

If it was a small length, then I would use a japanese pull saw (17 tpi)

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

definately a jigsaw as you need one anyway to lay laminate easily
    the chances off any edge being strait enough to use a table saw to cut a taper is quite small

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Clamp it, and use a hand power-saw.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. MrUseless

MrUseless New Member

Cheers for all the advice!

Im trying to avoid doing anything freehand, not got the experience or confidence of using hand tools, especially when trying to cut things straight... if a saw aint bolted to something with a guard and guides.. I aint usin it!!... at least not on my laminate flooring.. Ill end up with 3 inch deep skirting board to cover the gaps!

Did a quick goolge/youtube of the taper jigs... so could be an option!

Thanks

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Good quality handsaw will do this, the only way to get experience and confidence is to do it. If needs be cut to a couple of mm past your mark and plane to the line(electric or hand)

10. mof

mof Member

Yes you can use a table saw to cut long tapered pieces free hand but you will have to take it slow and cut in a dead straight line as if you veer off the straight the wood will bind on the blade and come back at you. not realy advisable if you are not familiar with machinery.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not really advisable full stop mate. You cannot safely cut free hand on a saw bench. Saw benches are designed for use with a fence at all times. Just the fact that you are saying if you veer off the straight it will come back at you means its not a safe thing to do. Much safer is to use a taper jig or to use a rip of MDF against the fence and temporarily fix the the piece to be tapered to it and run it through. You might have got away with cutting freehand but its really bad and dangerous practice. Just the basic physics of teeth coming down at the front of a  spinning blade and going up at the back would mean its a bad idea.

12. Mr. Handyandy

You cannot safely cut free hand on a saw bench

Except cross-cut.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Handy, are you aware of what freehand means? On a sawbench if you crosscut you are using a fence to crosscut, thats not freehand thats using a fence at 90 degrees to guide the material past the blade same if you use a mitre guide or any kind of jig to cut with. Freehand is just using your hands to guide material past the blade

14. Mr. Handyandy

Freehand. Two hands, no guide.

Sure I know.

Cross-cut. Pushing with both hands holding the timber through the blade. Sure I know. Freehand.

No problem cross-cutting freehand.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

I,ve been using an Elu flipsaw to trim cut and scribe laminate flooring for over 30 years.............It sounds like I,m lucky to be alive!!!!!!!

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Do whatever you want Handy, just know I value my fingers. If you meet someone whos lost them and the devastating effect it has on their life then its not really worth the risk in my opinion. Why would you bother crosscutting freehand surely if you have a saw bench set up you have a mitre slider to use or something. If not then to be honest its not really a professional way to operate. Dont get me wrong I dont do everything by the book at all, I double cut and rebate on a saw bench all the time, but I setup shaw guards and holdowns to minimise the risk. Ask any proper machinist and they will tell you the first thing that you learn is that machines need respect and that everything on a saw bench needs something to register against. Hands dont count as something to register against. Perhaps thats me coming from a traditional machining background and that machines work much better if they are set up and used properly. Anyone who freehand cuts using a sawbench in my opinion might have winged it but its not the right way to use that machine and its not a great idea to advocate that others do it.

17. Mr. Handyandy

How did anyone ever get on for sawing up logs or chopping planks into chunks. You don't use a fence or guide for that ?
    And you do it on a table-saw. Your hands are always outside the blade.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Starters I wouldnt chop logs up on a saw bench, I would use a chainsaw for that, secondly if I was to want to cut planks I would use a chopsaw for that and if I was to use a saw bench I would use a crosscut fence. It isnt really about where your hands are when you are cutting its the fact that cutting the way you recommend means you greatly increase the chance of it snatching  and then you are in the lap of the gods as to what will happen, if you get smashed in the face by whatever you are cutting and get knocked out then you take your chances where you fall. I have seen loads of bad accidents in workshops and it just makes you more aware, but if you pick up skills as you go along and self teach rather than get taught properly its easy to have bad habits. When you spend a hour searching through red sawdust for a finger it makes you do things properly and if you do have to do something thats a bit risky like double cutting on a saw bench or back cutting on a spindle you do what you can to minimise the risk by guarding or jigmaking.

19. Mr. Handyandy

You get a sawbench, and a guide at the side, you want to cross-cut a 1m plank across the middle (2 x 500mm).

How you cut it on the bench ?

Freehand.

You get a sawbench, you want to slice a board down the middle 1m x 150mm plank, want 2 x 75mm(ish). You set the guide.

How do you get it down through the sawblade ?

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Handy, I genuinely think you dont get what freehand cutting is.

A sawbench is generally sold with two fences, a rip fence that sits usually to the right hand side of the blade and is parallel to the blade and secondly a crosscut fence that sits at 90 degrees to the blade on the left hand side and travels past the blade usually locating in a groove

If you use either of these for cutting that is not freehand cutting, that is fine and safe. What some on here are suggesting is pushing timber through the blade with no form of guide at all, so for example snapping a chalk line on a board to mark a taper and then cutting it with no form of guide whatsoever, so literally if you took the crown guard off you would have nothing on the entire bench but the timber and a saw blade. If you are crosscutting your boards by literally having just the blade and the timber only then thats freehand cutting and wrong.