Questions about table saw's

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrUseless, Feb 12, 2012.

1. big all

big all Screwfix Select

dewalt version set up for cleaning purposes or freehand cutting assuming this picture works
    [​IMG]

2. mof

mof Member

I would say freehand cross cutting is a definate no no, there is a lot more chance of the saw grabing the wood, its bad enough ripping freehand but I would never cross cut without a sliding fence.

3. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    im suprised  you persisted for so long try to reason with handy golden boy! i know exactly what you are talking about, he just is clueless when it comes to joinery tools and if i didn't already know this before ( i did as he once thought that you get 2 different angles when you cut through skirting to get a over 45 degree angle) i do now reading his posts but good going anyways mate!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You are taking the mick again, and reading your own meanings into what I am saying.

People for years have been cross-cutting on a sawbench, no guide.

Goldenboy, no-one said anything about removing any guards.

Ones' hands are never in line with a saw blade whilst cross-cutting.

It is more dangerous to pass(push) a length of timber through a saw(table-saw) for widthing as the wood is kept close to the blade all the way along by the fence, and unless you have someone pulling, you need to nudge the last bit through NOT by hand while standing directly in line with the blade.

Cross-cutting to whip a 6 inch piece off the end of a plank - you are nowhere near the blade - no danger.

Of course, if you need a certain exactness, freehand isn't ideal, but if you don't, there's no danger (no more than any other way).

You get a sawbench, and a guide at the side, you want to cross-cut a 1m plank across the middle (2 x 500mm).

How you cut it on the bench ? Please detail..

Freehand.

You get a sawbench, you want to slice a board down the middle 1m x 150mm plank, want 2 x 75mm(ish). You set the guide.

How do you get it down through the sawblade ? Please detail...

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

To be honest Handy I cannot be bothered with this, basically there are two kinds of people workwise safe trained professionals who respect the danger of machines and use them properly and dangerous self taught amateurs who bodge their way through and think they know better than anyone else, I know which one I am and I know which you are. Carry on the way you are using a saw that way and counting to ten will involve taking your socks off too. But Handy you know best as always

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cheers Jez it is like talking to a brick wall

7. Mr. Handyandy

Nah, you're getting the wrong end of the stick again.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Mr. Handyandy

How would you cross-cut on this bench ? A lot of benches don't have cross-cut fences, only rip guides.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you wouldnt do it in a safe fashion unless you make your own jig up
    it similar to the fact a high spec table saw will have a riving knife that follows the blade and a separate guard on a swing arm allowing you to do a pass part thickness and be fully within regs rather than "guards removed for cleaning purposes"

10. Mr. Handyandy

That one has a riving knife!

For cross-cutting(except for precision cutting) you will be stood and have your hands 2 feet away from the blades(further than you would for ripping).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

a seperate riving knife that stops 1mm below the top off the blade allowing a part cut and seperate gaurd on swing arm
    like this

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    yeah i kind of switched off at the at the start of andys post as i have seen/heard it all before and i didn't need to read it! especially as it was coming from a novice! by the way handy i or we mean no disrespect to you but you are talking to joiners/ carpenters about stuff you don't seem to comprehend we can see it but you cannot! watch them fingers man! bon weekend!

13. Mr. Handyandy

'didn't need to read it'

That's your problem, and that's why you never understand.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    but did anyways, and guess what? i was right!

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Trouble is Handy, you are an occasional user of a saw bench, who has trouble identifying parts of a saw and refers to a fence as a guide. I probably pound more through a saw in a week than you have in your life. In my workshop I have a four grand panel saw, a spindle moulder, a crosscut, a planer thicknesser and loads more gear. I spent two years qualifying as a wood machinist having already qualified in carpentry and joinery. Now there is only one machine that I can think of that is designed for freehand use and that is a bandsaw. A saw bench is only designed for use with a reference point, whether that be a fence for ripping, a sliding gauge or carriage for crosscutting or a custom jig for other work. Just because you have managed not to maim yourself by waggling a length of timber towards a blade spinning at 4000rpm doesnt mean its a safe way to work. You are showing your lack of understanding by stating that because your hands are away from the blade its safe,it is far more to do with the risk of the blade snatching and causing a violent reaction. The more you argue about this the more foolish you look.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Look, you can pay your 4000 quid for certain saws, and you can buy certain saws for a hundred.

You can buy saws with just a rip 'fence' guide, but you are not prohibited or suggested against cross-cutting on them.

Crikey, if the log cutters needed a guide to cut logs, a load would cost a thousand quid.

A few years ago I used a sawbench not even equipped with ANY fence/guide, and no provision for adding one.

How the hell was one supposed to use that ?

Must have been impossible!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Doesnt matter whether you use an 20k saw or a B&Q special, you should follow safe practice. Cutting logs on a sawbench isnt wise either, thats what chainsaws and y stands are for. I think you are making a fool of yourself here. There is some old saying about stopping digging.

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

comon lads lets have a truce we cant all know about everything

i know the comment have been very  "reserved" well done for that
    we need to remember the shops and factories act/ health and safety applies to commercial premisis and comercial operations but not to domestic or private to the same extent

how many people realise the riving knife and guard  on a table saw must protect the teeth and leave no open gap greater than 6mm between work and blade i think norm has a lot to answer for

19. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    sometimes its like talking to a child who has to have the last say even if its making them look even more silly, call a truce and let him keep using tools like he does you never know he may not be able to type in a while!!;)

20. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    guide!! ha ha