Questions about table saw's

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrUseless, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    is that really a pad lock on the stop button? why even have those 2 things together? unless perhaps you don't want any 'handy' men using it!

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the little lad next door used to come in when he was about 3  so i used to say danger dont touch the green button and put a padlock on as this was the only thing he could reach that was dangerous

3. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    good idea! my daughter started my planer once! freaked me and her out!

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Handy, when I worked for the council, I watched in amazement as two lads tried to cut 1" off the side of a solid timber door.(using the fence too)They were almost through the length of the door when the door bound against the blade of the saw (450mm dia blade). The 1" piece they were cutting off came back, narrowly missing one lad and embedded itself in a concrete block wall. (the lad who it missed had to change his underpants (literally) Both lads were supposed time served joiners. Had they even tried that freehand, I'm sure the results could have easily been fatal.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I once worked with a bloke who strolled in first day, big time charlie attitude from the off. "What I dont know aint worth knowing" I was only maybe 19 at the time, foreman set him on easy job, rebating some frames on the spindle. I was sweeping up and keeping an eye on him, he was clearly struggling with the basics, set his block, took an aeon to set his fences, no guard down  but about to do a test run, I wandered over "everything alright mate?". He looked at me like I was just a labourer and said "dont you worry about me" and then proceeded to do his test piece the wrong direction, it snatched and ripped out of his hands and took off like an exocet and put a massive dent in the roller shutters. He stood there with his hands positioned as if he was still holding the frame section and going rapidly grey for about 30 seconds while I switched the machine off for him. Hasten to add he was a lot less cocky after that, he didnt last long though

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I am sure they were incompetent.

However, it(and you) is/are still missing the point. Cutting to width is not an option.

I would never attempt to rip down the edge of anything freehand on a saw table(would be no good for accuracy anyway).

I am and have been talking about cross-cutting, example, cut off 3 x 6" pieces from the end af a plank. Zing, zing, zing.

Never in danger, never in line with the blade, never have hands anywhere near the blade.

Of course, if a person ain't competent, NO method is safe.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Think you are missing the point Handy, its nothing to do with where your hands are or where you are positioned, its the fact that waggling a length of timber freehand at a 4000rpm blade means the chance of it snatching is hugely increased, if you were in a professional workshop and did that you would be sacked on the spot for gross misconduct. What damage do you reckon a 6" offcut could do if it came at you at 100mph.

8. Mr. Handyandy

...so how do you do it when the saw table is NOT EQUIPPED with a sliding fence for cross-cutting ?

Please don't tell me you have to go back home, pick up a cross-cut table designed for cross-cutting, and bring it back to site, so you can cut the ends off.

And please don't tell me you would use a handsaw, as the tables are for saving time.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Er not quite sure why you would be trying to get a machine to do a job its not equipped to do. Perhaps make sure you have the required sliding fence, if not make one, it would take 5 mins tops. Perhaps use a chopsaw or a jigsaw or a handsaw or a circular saw using a quicksquare as a guide.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Well, I didn't say the SAW wasn't equipped to do it, I said the table wasn't equipped with a sliding fence. That doesn't make the saw table defunct.

I wonder how many of you using these saws wear chainmail gloves and goggles and dust-masks every time you use the machines ?

Same safety precautions, but you know the dangers and you know how to handle them.

I can't believe that you think that a saw table equipped with just a rip fence can ONLY be used for that purpose!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    why are you still trying to tell him about something he knows so little about that you know lots about? all of his replies are childish best! he cannot be told! for he is so handy after all!

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    'childish at best' it should read!

13. joinerjohn1

Handy, your totally wrong.... For starters, it would be against the woodworking machinery regulations, to use a machine in a way it's not designed to be used. Secondly, I don't think H&S would take too kindly to someone who used a table saw in this manner. On site, you can be refused entry for being without a hi viz vest. What do you think the H&S chap would do if he seen you using a saw in the manner your describing? Short answer, you'd be sacked and thrown off site.
    Any employer worth his salt would not allow any employee to do what your saying.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Well I'm gonna be busy for the next few days emailing companies that sell table saws without cross-cut sliding fences, telling them not to sell them unless there is a big label on them saying, "It is against the code of practice to use this table for cross-cutting unless a purpose made fence is supplied."

Cos I ain't seen one of those notices EVER.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. mailee

mailee New Member

Judging by your comments on this Handy andy you have never had a kickback on a table saw. There is no way to stop the wood from twisting slightly with disasterous results. You should always use some form of guide when cross cutting on a table saw.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

A saw table with just a rip fence can be used for crosscutting. You just need to make a jig to do it. What you are advocating is the equivalant of a butcher using a bacon slicer without something to hold the bacon in because that part is at the menders,he wouldnt just waggle his bacon (so to speak) at the slicer, he would cut it by hand using a knife. Seriously Handy you are up against it here. If you really do waggle your timber(so to speak) at a blade like this then you might have to soon change your name to Handlessandy. Forcing a machine to do something it isnt mean to is the sign of a amateur. Jig making to make a machine do what you want is the sign of a professional

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats probably because you have never read the instructions that are provided with the Fisher-Price my first workshop tools you use. Only kidding

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

19. joinerjohn1

Handy, have you ever worked (as in paid work) in a woodwork machine shop, or on a building site? Rules and regs have to be followed these days. In a machine shop, there should be a copy of the woodworking machinery regulations on show, as well as  contact info for the H&SE . There will be a sign up saying "Only qualified persons allowed to operate machinery"
    Us tradesmen respect machinery like table saws, planer /thicknessers morticers and spindle moulders, chop saws, crosscut saws ,etc ,etc. Simply because we know the dangers associated with each machine and the possible results of misuse of these machines.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member