Questions about table saw's

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrUseless, Feb 12, 2012.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Handy can you email Rojek in the Czech Republic for me please to double check this. They have my new panel saw on order at the moment and I really want it to come with a big notice on it like you suggest. Otherwise as soon as it arrives I might just try to cut an 8x4 up freehand by mistake.

2. lojo

lojo New Member

I often cut tapers free hand on my big table saw on site, key safety issue is that your foot stance should be that even if you push hard your body won't allow both hands to go forward near the blade, I know the sounds silly but I have seen people with both feet together leaning forward pushing.

3. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    you may of shut him up for a change, gone a bit quite chez handys!

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

we all take shortcuts to some extent or other
    the secret is to know the rules firstĀ  so you know the boundaries when we cross them
    it sounds like some off handys "normal practices" are already outside the regulations
    this is not a criticism its just trying to understand the reason why sensible free thinking adults see thingsĀ  so differently

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Aye.

OK. NEVER saw freehand even when the table saw is not equipped with a sliding fence/mitre fence.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Handy, the only machine saw designed to be used freehand is the bandsaw (and even that has it's limits) ;)

7. Mr. Handyandy

...as if it's any safer!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. joinerjohn1

Not any safer Handy, but at least it is designed for freehand cutting. BTW it's quite frightening when you manage to snap a blade on one. ;)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Huh. I snapped one in a sawmill once(a 30ft blade). I was labouring, as the sawyer pulled through and cut the first cut off a log(a 20 footer) I attempted to slide the[lump-ended] piece off to the side of the rollers on my own(my mate was up the yard dancing-as was his want), the back end lump end got trapped in the carriage, and the sawyer drove the carriage back out straight through the saw. Smashed it to pieces. Never seen so many sparks and so many people jump. Half a day off :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. joinerjohn1

Thought you were going to say, you were doing it freehand.

(sorry Handy, just couldn't resist) ;)

11. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

<s>he</s>llo
    would i be splitting hairs if a were to mention that a bandsaw with a massive blade is actually called a resaw?

12. joinerjohn1

Now look what you've done, me hairs gone all frizzy with split ends.