Questions for the fitter for my bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mancone, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Mancone

Mancone Member

I want a new bathroom, only because the previous owner has decided to use god awful beige/grey tiles, they have been put on badly and the suite she’s used is second hand. I know it’s second hand as one of the units was discontinued five years ago the shower tray is so discoloured. The shower surround also has a chip in it and the fixtures are rotten - this doesn’t happen in less than two years.

I would love to have this Japanese style bath in my bathroom https://www.omnitub.co.uk/ and the layout of the bathroom wouldn’t change.

I’ve been reading this forum and picking up small snippets of information. These are my questions
    1) would I be able to supply most of the materials? I just have a style in mind and I’m conscious about quality.
    2) the current shower glass surround is actually really good quality. Would it be possible to keep it but get new brackets? I’m not sure how interchangeable they are. It’s a simple L shaped glass panel with holes for hinges etc.
    3) Anything I can do to keep the price lower? I don’t mind paying for the fixtures and fittings myself, it’s just I’m trying to keep the overall price as low as possible. Would it be better to get a separate tiler for example.
    4) I’ve contacted one plumber to get my bath disconnected (it moves and the ceiling looks a bit wet) but he said it’s not his job. Was he just a one off?

Thanks in advance. Any good bathroom people in the NW Manc, feel free to contact me. I would love to

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Had a quick look at your link, now that’s a bath !

my first thought, ah, I fitted one like that around 20 years ago, the first job was to strengthen the floor !
    Second job, install a hot water system to cope with the hot water demand !

so at this stage, don’t worry about tiles etc, sort out the floor and hot water system, it’s not going to work on a small budget.

Good luck
    Peter

Mancone likes this.
  3. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

Alot of these questions are for the people quoting really... hopefully they know enough to take into account everything kiaora has mentioned above...

In regards to supplying own materials etc, this can sometimes be a bit of false economy. Alot of bathroom fitters may make a slight mark up on fixtures/fittings etc, but it's probably still cheaper than what you'd pay. The overall price is likely to be similar, and different fitters may prefer to work in different ways. Definitely worth discussing this with them when quoting - the guy who did our bathroom not too long ago did an amazing job, and as i've heard alot, for example, said if we bought anything from victoria plumb he wouldn't do the job..

Any bathroom fitter worth his salt won't provide nevermind fit poor quality fixtures/fittings, as it will ultimately reflect on him when it fails and he has to remedy..

3) What you're essentially asking is would project managing it yourself be cheaper, the answer is yes, but is it worth the hastle? If you have a 2nd bathroom/ensuite etc, then go ahead because you won't be limited by time. For ourselves, and a lot of other people who only have 1 bathroom, a 'one man band' who project manages and arranges all other trades etc was definitely worth the extra £ we may have paid. (It also takes a LOT of the potential stress out of it, and gives you one main point of contact for any issues that may arise etc)

4) He probably just didn't want to do the job, if a plumber is busy it's not really worth their time coming out to just disconnect a bath, and if he was to charge enough to make it worth his time you would probably say it's too expensive.

Mancone likes this.
  4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

5. Mancone

Mancone Member

according to their website the smallest bath has:
    ‘Total Water Capacity (With Overflow): 215 Litres
    Total Water Capacity (One Person Weighing 80KG): 135 Litres’

Would I be correct to assume the weight of the bath with me in it is 215kgs? I’m 80kg.

My current bath is 130X60X35 = 270 litres? I’ve measured up to the overfill. It’s a weird shape to measure. I will need to remove the displaced water and add my weight to the calculations.

My boiler is fine.

6. Mancone

Mancone Member

Thanks. I just want quality fixtures and to have input on the design. I really want that bath and I hate tiny showers.

I did get a quote but I’m a bit concerned as he doesn’t have anyone helping him. So I’m not sure how he will get the shower glass panels up.

I know a local company who fit bathrooms and showers, I’ve got all my plumbing and goods from them. Would it be worth contacting them for a quote? I’m of the idea that one man is cheaper than many lol.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Question for the fitter has to be "How long are you going to be in there, please can you open the window"

8. jackelliott07

No, the 215 doesn't include the weight of the actual bath, it's the water capacity.

RE Getting more quotes - yes, always get a few quotes, and generally disregard anybody far too cheap, or far too expensive.

Any good bathroom fitter will be more than happy to work with you in regards to design/fixtures etc.

And yes as Astramax says, ask how long they estimate it will take, nothing wrong with a one man band (in reality he probably subcontracts a lot of the work out) but if for arguments sake he is going to do the entire thing by himself, as long as he's capable and has the ability there's no issue, unless it's going to take him 8 weeks...

Mancone likes this.
  9. Mancone

Mancone Member

The bath weighs 20kg so that would be the total weight of the bath with someone in it (need to add 20 to the above).

so is it really a concern when it seems to be equal to what I have?

10. jackelliott07

Probably not, but just a consideration for your chosen fitter. Tiles etc is where the big weight can come from, so actual load could vary by quite a big number. Also depends on joist sizes etcetc.

Mancone likes this.
  11. Mancone

Mancone Member

Thanks

12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Not to pick a nit, but it's the weight of the bath PLUS the weight of the water PLUS the weight of the person MINUS the weight of the water displaced by the person. Even though you're seldom fully submerged in the bath, your calculations should assume that you will be.

Mancone likes this.
  13. Mancone

Mancone Member

“Total Water Capacity (With Overflow): 215 Litres

Total Water Capacity (One Person Weighing 80KG): 135 Litres”

215+20=235kg ???? Correct for the new bath?

current bath is 130X60X35 = 270 litres plus 80kg. Bath is perhaps 10kg. Total: 360kg

Correct me where I’m wrong please.

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Questions for you about your bathroom. Don't take offence and you may have thought of all of this already but...
    Is this your permanent or very long term home?
    If not, is it a family home or likely to be marketed as one when you come to sell it?
    If so, can you choose a more conventional bath that still satisfies your needs/desires?

I might be wrong but a bath along the lines of the one you're suggesting would not appeal to parents with a young family as they cannot reach in to care for the little ones.

I hope you appreciate the motive behind the questions - it would be a shame to inadvertantly devalue your house.

15. Mancone

Mancone Member

yes I understand what you mean. My response is that I’m living in the house so I do what’s best for me :) I will however design the bathroom so I can easily replace the bath when I come to sell. Or the new owners can put in the bath.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Been there, done that, bathrooms are complicated beasts as there's no many different aspects to it - water, waste, toilet, basin, bath, shower, mixer, mirror, electrics, lights, pump, tiles, units, extractor...the list is almost endless. Oh, towels, furnishings, window coverings...

Much depends on what you are able to do both skill and time wise. I did most myself, had help from a plumber to do some first fix stuff with the 22mm copper, and brought a tiler in cos I hate tiling. Planning is key, work out exactly what you want (that will take you quite a while), and then what you will need in terms of materials, then work out a rough schedule of what needs doing when and in what order. Then you can see what trades help you will need.

For the trades - I use them mainly on a day rate basis as I trust them and know exactly what I want them to do. Its often easier though to have them give a fixed price for a specific piece of work, either to fit or to supply and fit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Mancone likes this.