quick guesstimate

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by D.S Builders, Jun 27, 2008.

1. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

Anyone have a rough estimate on a extension 5.5m x5.3m double story,take down exsiting double garage,move man hole and re lay foundations.The complete job including interior with quality fittings.The reason i ask is ive just quoted one and the bloke says his had a quote 25 grand cheaper. Thanks

2. The South

The South Member

Anyone have a rough estimate on a extension 5.5m x5.3m double story,take down exsiting double garage,move man hole and re lay foundations.

Apart from my extension being a fair bit bigger, it sounds like the work required for my extension. Builders were quoting around 60k for the shell (finished ready for decorating, but no bathrooms etc...)

I'm in wiltshire if that makes any difference

3. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

What size was yours 'the south'

4. The South

The South Member

erm...about 80-90 square metres.

double storey

5. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

This extension worked out to 1000 blocks 6000 brick which is about 100 mtr sq. My price was decorated and fitted en-suite for £55 grand. The customer says he had a quote for just over 30 grand.I think someone's full of **** just wanted to check if my price was realistic thanks for your help.

6. ecm

ecm New Member

100m2@£30k is £300/m2 - no way, he is pulling your plonker DS.

Your quote of £550/m2 is cheap as it is, I usually go off minimum £750/m2.

7. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Wish him good luck with his new extension, *...

Dont drop a penny, you'll probably get the job to put it all right......................

AW

[Edited by: admin4]

8. THE BUILDER MAN

THE BUILDER MAN New Member

25 grand cheaper what a load of *. let um do it i say then you can go back and finish the job for them.
    I suspect there are people out there that would do it for that but it would be half finished and look like poo if the customer even where 2 think about going with a quote like that hes a pratt and honestly you dont need customers like that.

[Edited by: admin4]

9. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

Thing is though lads he says hes had two quotes just over 30k the materials will come to roughly that.The best bit is his loaded its a massive house in catherine-de-barnes a posh part of solihull as a guess his home is worth about half a million and his gonna let cowboys in..... As i say to most my customers you pay cheap you pay twice.

10. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

If the materials come to what he claims to have been quoted then one of the following may apply.

1) He's lying. I get some people who claim that the competitor has quoted 10% lower, which may be credible but 50% lower is clearly not.

2) He has been quoted for materials or labour only, not both, and doesn't understand this.

3) The person quoting is a complete numpty

4) The materials are likely to be nicked

5) The other guy is coming in low to get the job then hit him with a load of 'extras'.

6) The other guy is well dodgy.

11. supachip

supachip New Member

Ive had this in the past . 1 of the biggest jobs ive priced was for £137,000 . This was for a loft conversion , kitchen extension , bathroom on suite extension & a garage all on the same property. I was told if i dropped price by 24 grand id get the job . But i declined due to sutch a big margin . 7 months later i get a phone call the customer had woke up to being ripped off . The guy had only built the garage but had drawn nearly 70 grand off the 113.000 leaving the client well fleeced. Lesson lernt

12. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

........The guy had only built the garage
    but had drawn nearly 70 grand off the 113.000 leaving
    the client well fleeced. Lesson lernt

The words 'fools', 'and their money, and 'parted'. come to mind.

The only thing that honest tradesmen can do is to quote the right price for the job and home that common sense prevails, even if they don't get the work.

I and a few others have being undercut by one local guy who seems to think he has to keep a full schedule.

It seems that he is panicking about being booked up for less than 6 months in advance so is coming under everyone else to get booked up, whereas the rest of us are still fairly busy working for the rates that we want to work at.

There are around 3 to 4 of us who seem to be referring each other to clients when we are asked about work that may not be our thing. For example, I shy away from most decorating tasks, and some others don't do what I do.

13. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Were these actual quotes or ball-park figures on a first visit to the site?

When we had our extension built, we had 3 prices, none of whice were quotes, but a good guess. At the time 2 were about the same and 1 15k higher, so we went for the guy with whom we felt most comfortable and was 1 of the 2 lower estimates. The detailed quote actually came in about 10k higher, which is what we expected. Single storey extension, split level, garage at the front and dining room onto the kitchen at the back, 37k (nearly 3 years ago). Total area roughy 10 x 6m.

Lovely job, no regrets and he is now helping me to do my loft. He will get an unashamedly honourable mention when I've finished!!

WM

14. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

BTW 30k sounds tooooo low - especially with all the decorating and ensuite and stuff! Good luck - he'll regret it when the other guy has finished (if he finishes.....)

15. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Seems you cant mentioned Polish builders anymore, my last post was edited by admin for suggesting he may speak polish.

I'm 10 mins from C-D-B's, if they can get it cheaper they will, maybe the traffic from BIA will blow it over...

AW

16. supachip

supachip New Member

Put it another way would you give a stranger a big wad of cash on the pretence that he will return on a daily basis . And once finished would put a warrenty on there work .I wonder how many people have handed over cash never seeing them again. This isnt anti european this is reality.

17. lojo

lojo New Member

imposible to estimate without more info

weve just done a 2 storey for 42.5k (building only, no internals0

building work is easy to estimate, internals are harder as most domestic customer only have a vague idea at build stage

BTW there is always someone who will quote cheaper, match them at your own peril