Quick question about leaking pipe joint

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by busy builder, Mar 1, 2010.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I have a compression T with a 15mm copper pipe and for some reason the pipe into the compression is slightly loose. It seems to be about 0.5 -1mm slack.
    I've tried 2 different olives (copper and brass) and even a section of the original pipe and even when really tight it still weeps ever so slightly, about a drip every couple of minutes.
    Last thing I tried was some plumbers paste, but I've just had another look after about 2 hours and theres a wet patch again.

Any ideas please ?? TIA

2. donny7

donny7 New Member

you could try some ptfe tape round the olive

3. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Tried that first and didn't work, its leaking out the back of the nut not from the thread part.

4. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Rip it out and start again,diameter of the pipe will cause a problem if its been nipped.

5. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Its not an old half inch pipe is it? They are slightly smaller than 15mm.

Try pushing an end feed fitting over it, it should be a nice fit, if its slack its half inch.

6. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Sorry I obviously didn't make myself clear.

The T compression fitting is original to house, I removed 1 15mm pipe into it as I need to swop the taps over on new basin.The new pipe is the problem I think, which is why I tried a section of the original pipe into this joint without success, it still leaks !!
    My worry is if I remove and replace the complete T compression fitting, will I have the same problem when connecting the original 2 pipes back into new one ?

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

a nice fit, if its slack its half inch.

Ah, cheers will do, can I still get half inch to 15mm fitting ?

8. tightenit

tightenit New Member

1/2" or 15mm no difference with compression. Either the olive is overtight or the pipe disfigured.No need to swing on 15mm compression, just tight enough and then a nip is enough.Sure that the threads on the fitting are not knacked?

9. Itandje

Itandje New Member

The fitting's probably split.

10. are you putting the ptfe on the thread or the olive ?

11. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

get some liquid ptfe or LSX and put it onto the olive before you assembly it, you will need to leave it a while to go off before putting the water back on though

12. GKU

GKU New Member

If yer usin LSX , water makes it go off quicker ;)