Quiet shower pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BuildMore, Jul 11, 2009.

1. BuildMore

BuildMore New Member

I want to replace a noisy ST Monsoon 3 bar pump, and am looking at one of the newer centrifugal pumps.

Either a Salamander "Right" pump like the RHP75, or a Techflow QT-2 pump like the QT-80.

Does anyone have experience of both these ranges, and which one is quieter? I have a Rexon "whisper-quiet" circular saw that generates around 100db (how do these marketing people get away with it), so suspect Techflow's "whisper quiet" pump is only that quiet when you are wearing ear defenders.

Can anyone comment on the relative noise of these two specific models?

And is there anything quieter at the 2.5 bar level?

Thanks.

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Like quiet vacuum cleaners eh?

No such thing as a quiet shower pump - fit it in a quiet location such as a loft.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Quiet shower pumps are like honest politicians and economical 4x4 's

4. BuildMore

BuildMore New Member

Can anyone answer my original post please? I know shower pumps are noisy. I'd really appreciate a post from someone who is familiar with the two pumps I listed.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I am very familiar with those pumps and have working models in my showrooms - there is NO SUCH THING as a quiet shower pump. The Salamander is by far out the noisiest of the two.

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Both noisy, Salamander very noisy. ALL shower pumps are noisy.

7. BuildMore

BuildMore New Member

Thanks HOTDOG. How do these two pumps compare noisewise to regenerative pumps from the same manufacturers?

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

As has been said repeatedly, they are all noisy...although a lot of the noise can be mitigated by siting and installation.

9. Home Farm

Home Farm New Member

Last year I finished a whole house extension which included 3 Salamander booster pumps to feed the showers.

To keep the noise down I mounted them on a piece of 3/4 ply which floats on 100mm of fibreglass lagging in the loft.

It works fairly well - so far.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

As Kirsty would say " location, location, location." ;)