Quote advise

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by peterjf83, Nov 4, 2019.

1. peterjf83

peterjf83 New Member

I appreciate it’s hard to know without looking at my house but I’ve had a quote and I just want to get a sense as to whether it sounds correct or not.

I have a four bed detached house in the Surrey / Hampshire area. The work quoted for is;

- Removal of old potterton boiler from downstairs wc.

- installation of new Worcester Bosch greenstar 24kw boiler in utility room.

- removal of old hot water cylinder from upstairs airing cupboard.

- removal of old cold water tank in loft.

- installation of megaflo unvented cylinder in garage.

- removal of six radiators downstairs in prep for a wet underfloor heating system.

- installation of pipe work to location of underfloor heating manifold. UFH to be installed at a different date but not part of the quote.

- installation of four new radiators upstairs (supplied by us). Existing radiators are on microbore. New pipe work to be supplied.

- capping off two gas supplys into the floor.

£6650.

Any feedback appreciated.

Another plumber was supposed to quote this work but didn’t turn up. This quote I’ve had is from a recommendation. We’ve just moved in and the work needs to be done ASAP. Ideally I’d want to compare quotes but new to the area and time not onside.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Get more quotes.
    Seems expensive for a new system with a few radiators and a cylinder.

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Obviously a lot depends on what controls are included and if a decent filter is included.
    But this usually only effects the price by a small amount.

also if copper or plastic is used can affect the quote

4. peterjf83

peterjf83 New Member

There will be a nest thermostat (our request) and copper piping throughout.

we’ve requested that the radiator pipes upstairs come out of the wall instead of up through the floor boards. Can’t stand seeing copper pipes like that.

5. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

If time is more of an issue than money, just get on and go with it.

Shop around for a few weeks and you'll probably save a lot of £s.

Be sure you know what you want before you change anything...it's a big outlay and you won't really know what or how you want your new house until you've settled in for a while.

6. peterjf83

peterjf83 New Member

I'm inclined to accept the quote, I just want to make sure I'm not being ripped off.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Some people charge what they think they are worth. That’s fair enough.
    It’s up to you to try get quotes for similar materials and the job as a whole to make a fair comparison.
    This can be difficult.

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Couldnt say for sure.... need some pro advice from here, of which many would stuggle to quote 'off-site' as it were!

Sometimes a recommendation is worth its weight in Gold. I'm always trying to save a pound as I haven't got bucket loads to chuck away! But I've learnt the hard way that a cheaper quote doesn't always work out in the long run

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Your basically getting a full install and a full rip out.
    Whilst this seems lots of work it’s made easier as usually the new pipework can follow the routes of the old.
    This can make lifting floors easier.

if your new system is zoned this will be a little more work with the pipework and wiring.

but even without seeing the job I would be happy with your quote as there’s good profit and scrap from the job.
    I would think you could get cheaper quotes but the materials would need to be similar to make the quote comparable.
    If your happy though go ahead. As long as they honour the warranty and come recommended.