Rad levels

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mikesmith58, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Mikesmith58

Mikesmith58 New Member

Hi All. My son is in the middle of a loft conversion that involves an ensuite. His current CH boiler is gravity fed from a tank in said loft. As he needs some heat up there, the builder has said he will have to have electric rads due to them being on the same level as the tank. (or technically slightly higher) Is this right? If so, could he get around this by just raising the tank a metre or so? I had it in my head that once the boiler was fed, the pump sent the flow around to wherever the rads were irrespective of where the system was fed from. Or is this just sealed systems.

Thanks.

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

No, the tank needs to be higher

3. Mikesmith58

Mikesmith58 New Member

Thanks. Would the proposed metre (above any rad height) be high enough?

4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Yeah I think so, hopefully someone else can confirm for sure

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I did just this in my daughters place: just tucked the header tank in a cupboard tight to the ceiling and it worked just fine. Had to put in a (negative head) shower pump for water.

With 20/20 hindsight I should have just gone for a combi as the boiler was old and cost a couple of £100 in repairs only a year later. As it was for rental I wasn't so worried about gas useage which slewed the decision.

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Do u mean the tank for the hot water? the original poster is on about his F&E tank

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I mean the CH header tank. The hot water header tank was just moved to the side hence the need for the pump.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Just convert it to sealed.

9. exbg

exbg Active Member

Do NOT follow this "advice". It is a nightmare if the tank needs to be maintained or cleaned. A simple ball valve change or even water level checks become a mission.

A loft conversion is a major job, and heating should have been considered from the start. As was suggested, consider sealing the system - but this depends upon the age and model of boiler.

personally, I would probably replace the boiler and fit an unvented system.

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Sorry but it's not a nightmare if you think about how you're doing it and allow for future access (which I did). Budget and time constraints slewed the thinking.

The answer to the OP's question is its fine but a combi would be better.