Radials on a re-wire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Feb 21, 2010.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all, I have a re-wire to do where the people are on a bit of a tight budget so i'm thinking of using 2.5mm radials in the lounge, dining room and bedrooms. One radial upstairs with 5 sockets and one downstairs with 6 sockets. My usual method would be rings but in an effort to keep costs down I thought i'd give radials a go on this one. I'll put a ring in for the kitchen though, I know there's no regs issue but any thoughts on this chaps? It's only two bedrooms by the way, quoted 3k but need to get down to 2.5k

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Although don't like Radial Finals generally myself..I think what you propose is ideal Sen within your stipulated parameters on the install.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2.5k?..good profit there.

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks JP

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No probs Sen..nice job M8..:)

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I estimate cleared earnings will be in the region of £210 per day @ 7 days total.

A handsome figure.

7. bluevelvet

bluevelvet New Member

sene- If your`e doing a rewire with a 17th consumer you need to split the upstairs sockets from the downstairs
    sockets and the upstairs lights from the downstairs lights would suggest up sockets with down lights on one RCD and down sockets and up lights on the other RCD
    Radials would be the way to go and ring for the kitchen
    perhaps

8. robster911

robster911 New Member

hi sen..no probs with radials!!re the cost issue,your not saving that much by not returning back to cu...possibly save a bit off time on testing..and poss 50 mtrs t/e..but at 2.5k..theres still a good chunk off profit!! 5 days lab, £600 materials..u cld even use mk and make good for that price!!..... and still have a good week :) regards rob.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You young whippersnappers..:)

10. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I reckon i'm older than you JP!

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I'm 55 Sen, 56 this year. How old are you M8?

12. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

65 in June

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Sen. Was I right about the 7 days max?..maybe you could do it in 4 or 5 days.

I know Wally 2 is in his sixties, and he is still doing loads of work.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

My birthday is in June also Sen.

15. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Mine's on 7th JP. I think it might be 7 days although I don't have to muck about with carpets etc too much, she said just cut them up as necessary as they are going to be replaced, there's not too much furniture there either as they haven't lived there very long, not much making good to be done either, just a bit of bonding over the chases and they'll finish off when they decorate. I have a mate that can come in for a few days to help at the beginning, he's not a sparks but is pretty handy for lifting boards, cutting chases and running cables etc so I might do it in 5 days.
    Dave.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Brilliant Sen. It is a luxury when someone else does the floor boards and lifting stuff about etc..you can spend more time getting other stuff in ready to cable etc. Anyway must go, have a good evening Sen.