Radiator Cover

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by headhammer, Apr 18, 2007.

1. headhammer

headhammer New Member

Hi guys!

Going to make some rad covers out of MDF and paint, any ideas/plans you that can give me some pointers? Like the look of JasonBs picture in the "floating shelves" topic.

Any advise appreciated!

2. unless you're a pro it'll be too much hassle...buy 'em instead

3. headhammer

headhammer New Member

I appreciate it would be easier, maybe even more cost effective to buy from a large shed but it's the challenge and enjoyment of making things with my own hands that I enjoy. However, thanks for your thoughts!

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep, i bought some cheap oversized ones on ebay and cut them down much easier/quicker/cheaper, think they were about £20 each.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have made several dozen
    the trouble with making your own is the expence of the pierced grill

even a modest size radiator can require 2 mdf panels at around £30 a sheet

and if you choose peirced brass its £120 for a 2m by 1m sheet

although you can get up to 3 radiators dependant on style and size

big all

6. foxy

foxy New Member

Rad covers are a simple project although as stated it is probably cheaper to buy one.
    Do a search on here as it has been covered several times. The design is obviously your own choice but they are basically an open box with a big hole in.
    Experiment with different router bits (ogee, roundover, chamfer etc) to see which profile you like.
    Painting the fretwork can be a pain unless you don't mind white and can pick out a sheet in good condition. ;)
    I usew keku fixings on the wall and gloss the top even if the body is emulsion as it tends to get tea cup rings on it. :)

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I'll post something later, assume you don't want to know about the ones where the mesh cost me £425 per rad!!

Jason

8. inventor

inventor New Member

I built one to a very odd size for a customer two weeks ago. B&Q sell pierced MDF panels for about £15, very reasonable. I cut the front from a single big MDF panel, which was silly. The kits in the shops work like this, but they're all cut on a CNC router. Do it by hand and any mistake wrecks the whole panel (I speak from experience). It's safer to make the front from multiple smaller pieces of MDF. Painting is a pain. I sprayed dulux MDF primer with an HVLP sprayer, which worked well. Spray twice, and sand down the edges after each coat. I would have like to spray dulux diamond satin on top, but the COSHH sheet says don't do it. I never did get a good way to paint the top coat, my finish was just ordinary.

9. dazzed

dazzed New Member

b&q and wickes sell grills for around £15 a sheet , b&q also sell a mdf slotted rail to accept the front grill for around £5 for a 2m length.