Radiator fitted the wrong way

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Oct 23, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Guys the site where I got the black pipes mentions this:

Please note: The tubes are water carrying and designed to be connected up to the copper pipe below the floor.

See an image of the instructions for the pipes.

Again just seems like nitpicking faults here....as mentioned there are no leaks and all seems secure!

Many copper pipe fittings made of brass themselves.

Attached Files:

2. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Anyway may take it down local plumbers merchant and ask them to recommend the correct fixing...brass to copper.

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Standard compression elbow would do. Not nitpicking more about doing things correctly

4. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

All go ok?
    Did you plumb and fix rad?

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Okay many thanks...appreciate it.

Would this do:
    https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=23847

Or perhaps a link to a Screwfix product so I can go pick it up tommorow...

6. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

No just fixed brackets and mounted rad, builder I know came and done the piping. He's not exactly a professional plumber but I had never fixed a rad before so wasn't confident.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Far from nitpicking faults , in an effort to ensure that you don't end up with a flood , am pointing out what is obvious to me ,to be a matter of concern.
    The instructional diagram clearly shows a compression fitting . That's what you need to use.

exbg likes this.
  8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Yes sorry mate...you're right.

Will this be suitable
    https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=23847

9. Ad_g

Ad_g New Member

Yep, risk with brass and push fit is they will not grip and pop off later.

Compression fitting with copper olives is what is needed. (Note a lot of compression have brass olives and you’ll need to go to toolstation if you need a pack of copper olives).

10. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

good stuff, glad you got it sorted.

11. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Thanks for the response guys.
    Okay I need a compression elbow fitting here to join up the black brass pipe to the copper pipes below floorboard.

But I am no plumber so honestly so much easier if someone just sends me a link of the right fitting to go buy !!!

Because whatever I go buy someone here may find even a fault in that LOL

Do I also need any PTFE tape around the compression elbow fitting?

12. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Why copper olives in particular?

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes perfectly suitable. And copper or brass olives can be used on your brass / copper pipes. You don't need PTFE on a compression fitting .

14. Ad_g

Ad_g New Member

You want the olive and the pipe to have a good seal in the compression joint so it doesn’t weep.

If you have a hard material for the pipe such as brass, plastic or chrome plated then a softer olive generally works better. Speedfit recommend copper olives for this reason for example.

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Brass olives will work perfectly well on your brass and copper pipes. Trust me , I buy them in packs of 100 and have used thousands of them ,and I don't use plastic pipes and push fit fittings,but I am eternally grateful for the people that make them as they keep me busy ripping the junk out and replacing with soldered copper.

16. exbg

exbg Active Member

I assume that you are referring to me?

If you bothered to take any notice, you would have observed that I “replied” to my own post. My prior post did not make sense as a vital word was spellchecked wrongly, and I was trying to clarify. If one was able to edit without a time limit, I would have done so.

If, further, you bothered to look, you would have noticed that I had made a genuine attempt at helping the OP.

Your twatty respond helps not.

17. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

@terrymac @jonathanc

Any idea how to undo this copper elbow push fit? Don't want to cut the black pipe.
    Carefully undo with a hacksaw perhaps?

Btw got these 2 compression elbows for either side, 2 quid each.

Attached Files:

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's a tectite fitting ,not demountable as far as I can recall. Carefully cut the fitting ,without damaging the pipes,using a junior hacksaw. And starting at the wide section ( where pipe enters).
    You obviously need to drain the system before doing that ,just in case you don't realise .
    Cutting it in half at the bend radius would probably make it easier ,as it would be in two pieces.

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

This might help

but tbh your fitting looks different

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The fitting is a tectite sprint or equivalent and not demountable. The tectite classic and pro are however demountable.