radiator not getting hot water....but I've tried just about everything..help....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by every day is a school day, Nov 20, 2021.

1. well if the default position is don't trust anything you buy from screwfix as it is probably faulty...not sure where you go from there....

2. https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball-valve-blue-22mm/18343

3. Well at least if they are the wrong way round, the TRV is also on the wrong side so that makes it right...right!
    So to be clearer. The lock side of the radiator when opened (so flow coming back from the return i.e backflow) was quite strong but it seemed not to be as strong as the TRV side. This strong back flow was countered by placing the non return value so that there was no competition of flows acting against each other.

4. so that means the airlock would be in the flow side going up the wall right! So having released many litres through that supply side, is it still possible that air has been pushed aside by the water. Would an airlock here not allow any water past?

5. get under the floor for what? Not sure what you mean. The TRV and lockshield are both visible, not under the floor

6. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

exbg and Deleted member 246321 like this.
  7. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I think we presumed the isolation valves and non return valve were under the floor. And the tees where the flow and return for this rad joined the main pipe runs. I did anyway!

exbg likes this.
  8. Sorry, yes they are. its just that for the past 8 or 9 days the inspection cover has been lifted so I forgot that they would be under the floor normally lol

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

We know the main flow and return is ok.
    We know the radiator and both valves are ok.
    This just leaves the 2 pipe runs.
    Are the pipe runs definitely connected to the main flow and return pipes. This should be evident by visually looking at the isolation valves.
    If correct I would then disconnect both pipes from the isolation valves.
    Let the water drain out then see if you can blow through from both radiator valves.
    If you can blow through them water will flow through.

10. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Struggling to visualise, we need photos. Bit if there is a “high point” anywhere, there needs to be a vent.

11. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Water may flow through the disconnected pipe, but not circulate when connected.

when we have a partially blocked cold feed, the whole system may fail, but we know we will get water through to one degree or another.

A gas fire may pass a flue flow test,but fail the spillage test miserably.

Mir is all about relative resistance

12. when the better plumber first came he did ask me to feel for him blowing through the pipes. I thought it was odd at the time but now know why he did it

13. someone did mention that they thought the radiator had the lowest preference for flow in that all of the other radiators on the floor are closer to the connections from the main pipe (1 radiator is probably only 50cm away and is right next to the feed/return for the office radiator) so water flowed where it could go more easily. I could see his point but then that could be proven by closing off all other radiators leaving only this one open. Doing that made no difference.

14. so no blockages or restrictions to speak of. Flow rates from the feed side that seem perfectly adequate, all other radiators both before and after this position operate fine.

Having spent a few hours here and listening to others, I conclude that they are correct in that it can't be resolved (for reasons unknown) and needs pipework replaced in full.

Thank you everyone for your input