Radiator only coming on eve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mrsjprice, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mrsjprice

mrsjprice New Member

I’ve got gas central heating in my commercial property (play centre).

There’s a gas boiler, cylinder and header tank.

all the radiators work fine except one which will only come on in the evening, around half 5.

The hot water and heating are set to on all the time, as it was taking till about 1pm to heat the play centre up.

The valve on the radiator is set to 6 which is the max, yet this doesn’t seem to count for anything.

Any ideas?

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Is it because the heating setting is set to stay on longer later in the day?
    Is it newer than others or furthest away from boiler?

3. mrsjprice

mrsjprice New Member

There is no timer, well there is but I’m not using. On the programmer by the boiler I have it set to just on permanently. Otherwise I’m not sure what you mean.

I couldn’t say whether it is further away as there are two rads on the same wall either side of a door. The one to the left of the door works fine, the one to the right of the door is this bugger which doesn’t.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It’s probably just needing balanced.
    It maybe slowly heats up then later in the day as trv’s close it gets more water.

WillyEckerslike and MGW like this.
  5. mrsjprice

mrsjprice New Member

Thank you I’ll try that tomorrow.
    Clockwise to close the valves and then a quarter turn anti-clockwise, yes?

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would also look at lock shield valve settings, I have had it before, house with modulating gas boiler, worked A1 until turned off when occupants went for winter holiday. On turning back on, all the TRV had opened, and the boiler heated to closest radiator then shut down to near minimum output until that room warmed up and TRV started to close, then it would heat up next room.

Starting at radiator nearest to boiler I turned it off at lock shield valve, let it cool, then slowly ¼ turn at a time, opened valve until just got warm, then ¼ turn more. I repeated this on rest of radiators, and all worked A1.

7. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Can I ask this Q again and add, Has any other works been carried out recently?

8. mrsjprice

mrsjprice New Member

It’s not newer. Some building work was done and all the radiators were removed as the room was made from two rooms into one.

They were both put back on after just in a slightly different place.

There was a hole in our cylinder which has been recently replaced. We’ve had a few issues with the plumping/heating overall.