Radiator pipe not heating up

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Oct 8, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Had the radiator removed here about 2 years ago now for refurbishment work and planning to install new one shortly.

When the central heating is switched on in house, all radiators heat up but I noticed both copper pipes here are cold and not hot.

The old radiator used to heat up fine. I'm assuming the right one is the flow as this was where the thermostat was so should heat up and the left is return.

Any ideas why its not heating up?

Attached Files:

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

They won’t heat up until the water is flowing through them.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You will also find that the radiator that's not connected to those pipes any longer ,won't be hot either !!!!!

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Okay thanks guys. I know basic plumbing like fitting taps etc.

But radiators are new to me.

So hot water will only start flowing through them once the new radiator is connected???

In other words, at the moment, there is no radiator to draw the hot water from the central heating system correct?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The hot water flowing through the rad heats the rad ,which in turn gives its heat into the room.
    No flow = no heat.

6. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Sorry guys think I have confused everyone.
    I am not interested in knowing why the radiator is not heating up....there is no radiator even connected!!!

I just want to know why the pipe, which has been capped off, are not getting hot when the central heating is turned on....

7. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

For the pipes to get hot they need to have flow through them, at present they are just dead legs of pipe with no flow going through them even when the heating is on.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If water isn't FLOWING through the pipe it won't get hot. Open the valve and hot water will flow out ,after a bit ,when c/ heating is on .