Radiator piped Up Correctly?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simon J, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Just been to a customers house and they've had previously a radiator fitted, a standard type, I think it's a Permo radiator, but the sort that are 1800mm high and 600mm wide to go in narrow areas.

The bloke who's put it in has connected the flow at the top right corner of the radiator, with a TRV, and the return is fitted at the bottom left corner.

The radiator get's hot at the top but cold at the bottom.
    Although it's odd to pipe it up this way, looks stupid also with the TRV at the top, the lady has to stand on a chair to operate it!! why is it cold at the bottom as I thought logically it should still work.

Any ideas?

2. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

has there been a dip pipe fitted inside to push the flow lower down in the rad from the trv ?

3. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I doubt it, but I've not taken it apart yet.

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Take the top off the TRV and see if it works.

Any shelf above the TRV?

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If you look at radiator manufacturers' specs you will see that feed in the top and return out of the bottom opposite corner gives the maximum output from the radiator. Most people don't pipe up that way in domestic premises because they don't like the look of it.

BB