radiator pipes/gas safe certificate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rodrialcazar, Aug 14, 2021.

  1. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member


    As part of a kitchen renovation, a new vertical radiator was to replace an old regular one. Only one of the vertical pipes to the floor was replaced (the one on the right in the pictures, from a white-covered existing one to a copper one) while the other one wasn't (I presume so it was less work?), then both pipes covered with not-very-impressive plastic covers. Can you tell me if this is industry standard/normal? I would have expected both pipes to be replaced for new ones, but you know better.

    Also, the gas hob was replaced with an induction one (thus, gas supply capped off): should I've been issued any gas safe certificate? Even if not compulsory, can/should I request one?


    Attached Files:

  2. pppmacca43

    pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

    He would have only needed to replace one to get the centres right for the new radiator I assume, so no need to replace both. The shrouds can be taken off if u wanted, or replaced for different colour ones. Doesn’t look too bad tho.

    Is the plastic cap on the gas pipe? If so they aren’t suitable for live gas pipes and it needs to be changed, if he has done this I suspect he isn’t gas qualified
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  3. jonathanc

    jonathanc Screwfix Select

    Nice neat job. The speedfit stop end was only temporary. No certificate required for disconnecting something either
    rodrialcazar, Abrickie and just pumps like this.
  4. exbg

    exbg Screwfix Select

    What do you mean by "Temporary": while other work was going on (meter ECV turned off) or for a short time and gas in use ?
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  5. Abrickie

    Abrickie Screwfix Select

    Photo 2 is the same pipe work as photo 1, it’s rads, not gas :rolleyes:
    rodrialcazar and jonathanc like this.
  6. exbg

    exbg Screwfix Select

    HaHa , i see that know - but, in my defence, was misled by Jonathon's weird answer.
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  7. jonathanc

    jonathanc Screwfix Select

    nothing weird by using speedfit stop ends while work is being carried out
    rodrialcazar and Abrickie like this.
  8. Abrickie

    Abrickie Screwfix Select

    Saves the plasterers filling them, lol :D
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  9. pppmacca43

    pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

    Hahaha ignore my bit about the cap on the gas then, didn’t notice the other pipe. Thought the copper looked a bit shiny and new for an old gas supply.
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  10. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member

    Thanks all for your answers. It seems that the radiator job is ok and that the use of those plastic covers is standard.

    I'm still not clear about a gas safe certificate being needed for capping off gas supply when replacing a gas hob for an induction hob. Anyone could clarify?

  11. exbg

    exbg Screwfix Select

    You do not NEED a certificate for any gas work except Landlord Reports and installations of heat producing appliances.

    Most installers will provide a receipt carrying. His registration number and description of work done, but, essentially, is a nicety. Unless you specifically asked for one.
    rodrialcazar and pppmacca43 like this.
  12. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

    The rad install is a tidy job, no need or reason to replace the pipe nearest the corner - there are two options, put on the covers or leave the one in bare copper for painting.
    I'm a sparky, not a plumber, but I think he's done a good job, and made it look tidy, gone above and beyond really - most of the plumbers i work with would just have left bare copper.
    pppmacca43 and rodrialcazar like this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice