Radiator Pulled Off Wall!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by StewartR, Apr 15, 2019.

1. StewartR

StewartR New Member

Needing some advice. 9yr old Grandson has kindly pulled his radiator off the wall...…..against better advice I may add and with a stern look of disapproval as you may imagine.

Problem is the fixing holes (in concrete) are now wrecked where the existing rawl plugs and bolts have been pulled out.

Really don't want to move radiator and associated pipes so looking at ways to repair the existing holes and regain a strong hold for the radiator brackets to their original position.

Looking around I've come across chemical resin that looks like it could fill the holes and hopefully allow me to re-attach the brackets in their original positions. Anyone any advice on what they've done before or whether something like Ficher Chemical Resin would be suitable.

Thanks

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Resin would do it, just make sure the holes are clean.

Or, with a lot of brackets, there is often a 50mm vertical slot for screws meaning just redrilling higher/lower.

Or, maybe just increase the size of screws and plugs used - what was in there before? Screw size and plug type please. For example if it was a typical brown plug then go up to an 8mm Fischer with a 5mm screw

3. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Chemical resin.
    Drill deeper or thicker holes.
    Drill new holes through the rad bracket in more suitable locations.
    Some rad brackets can also be moved an inch or so to each side.

Heat and StewartR like this.
  4. StewartR

StewartR New Member

Yep brown plugs were used. Thanks for quick responses. Now need to hope the actual 10mm pipes havn't been bent too much when I straighten it up. Already undone them and PTFE'd too stop initial leaking after it came off!

5. StewartR

StewartR New Member

Thanks Mike. Not looked at them fully but as you and Pollowick said maybe some wriggle room for movement.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

StewartR likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Heat and StewartR like this.
  8. StewartR

StewartR New Member

Think first thing i'll do is get radiator off the wall and cap off the valves. See what the actual damage is. Then look at each of above to get the best fitting suggested.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

just use 100mm masonry bolts whatever size you need to fit after you drill the hole out a bit - drill the bracket out to suit - the brackets won't come off after that

10. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Active Member

I'd just go for drilling new holes in the brackets, as suggested above.

11. StewartR

StewartR New Member

Thanks for all the replies:

In the end I took rad off (1st time for everything), capped valves then refitted using the following:

Fischer 6 x 50 Radiator Fixing Kit (ditched plugs as soon as I seen they wouldn't touch the sides of the holes) combined with four 10 x 50 Fischer Duoplugs (holes pre-drilled with 10mm masonary bit). Wrapped the plugs with Wetnfix from Fischer to take up any voids.

Added an 82mm Tapcon screw (pre-drilled with 5mm xtra long drill bit) to each bracket for a bit of extra strength.

Removed blanking caps off valves (thoughts on valves not being closed securely were correct so saved a few drips on carpet), re-attached radiator, pressurised system and as they say the job looks good and radiator appears solid.

One thing that I didn't skimp on was blowing the drilled holes out (using Screwfix blow out pump) and reaming them out to clear out debris. 1st time Ive done so when drilling into concrete and everydays a learning day...….never done that before and now know why before doing so I could never get a perfect fix or the screws/bolts themselves were always bottoming out!

Grandson now "tagged" and told not to come within arms reach of any radiators...….especially mine:)

Again thanks for the replies.....advice much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 6:05 PM