Radiator Regs?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DragonLady, Jul 17, 2018.

1. DragonLady

DragonLady New Member

I am having issues with the council regarding radiators in our house. The council are installing a new boiler and replacing all the radiators in the property, and they are insistent on putting a radiator into mine and my partners room. The room previously did not have a radiator, and we would like it to stay that way, as the house does not really get that cold, and I have issues with my chest that are worsened by radiators. The council will not accept this, and we have been in deadlock since. I need this sorting asap. I'm turning to you lovely people to ask is it a requirement for one to be in every room? What are the regulations that state this? Thank you in advance for the advice :)

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No idea on regs but if the council own the property then its up to them - who does own the place?

You can always turn a radiator off so I don't see its an issue.

Heat and Allsorts like this.
  3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

As above ^^^ Don`t see the issue, just turn it off if it bothers you that much. Most people would love a new boiler and radiators for free.

Heat and blarblarblarblar like this.
  4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The council can fit it if they want. There are no regulations involved.
    Imagine you move out later in the year, the room then wouldn't have a radiator for the next occupier.

Heat likes this.
  5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As already said just turn it off! After all it is their property so they can more or less do what they like with it.

Heat likes this.
  6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

As has been said It's their property that you are renting, they have to provide accommodation up to a spec which includes heat in bedrooms. As required by current building regs. Part of those regs require a TRV to be fitted in every bedroom which is perfect for you as you only have to switch it off at the TRV and it will be as it wasn't there except you can hang your T shirts on it.

Heat likes this.
  7. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Just turn it off. Its not your house to moan about.

Heat and blarblarblarblar like this.
  8. real-a

real-a New Member

I think this is more to do with cold spots and condensation. I rent properties and people insist on turning off heating in rooms that are not constantly occupied because they believe it will save them money, which results in condensation and serious mould growth in these rooms. This is particularly apparent in in older houses that don't have air re-circulation systems. In addition tenants don't see it their job to rub off the mould with a suitable product, and then I`m blamed as a nasty landlord for providing a substandard property.

If i was installing a system there is no way i would agree NOT to put it in certain rooms.

OP - i'm sure you are a lovely person and take care of your property and would never let a situation get this bad - just this issue comes up time and time again, and people just don't believe their behavior causes the problem.

Allsorts likes this.
  9. DragonLady

DragonLady New Member

Thank you all for your great advice (though a tad harsh). We reached an amicable agreement with the council and agreed for them to install a single panel type 11 radiator in the room, and leave it turned on the anti-frost setting. I try very hard to take good care of the property, and in the two years I have lived there, I have had the council out to renovate the kitchen, and the heating system. All new boiler, pipes, and radiators (finished yesterday).
    My partners parents (who still live in the house unfortunately) left the property to go to ruin, so I am slowly (with the councils permission and help) bringing it up to a liveable state. Just about to renovate the upstairs bathroom and spare room.

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven :). I mean between you and the landlord - the council :D.

The advice given above by all is completely sound, as you no doubt agree. You have the option to control that rad, right down to 'fully off'. There may well come a day where you'd be glad of it.

Meanwhile, keep making that house a home. :)

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

It sounds like they are also fitting thermostatic radiator valves. If you set those low enough you wont really notice any difference between summer and winter. They can also make a huge difference to the bill if used sensibly.

John
    -