Radiator removal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gazza2, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

Hi

Just a quick one - I need to remove a radiator ( or two)
    if i turn the TRV & the lockshield valve off, can i remove the radiator, leaving them attached to the pipes

thanks in advance for all assistance

2. tgs

tgs New Member

I assume this is temporary for decorating.

The answer is yes you can. You will need to crack the join at one end and drain the contents of the radiator into a container.

If you are going to leave them more than a day then it would be an idea to put some caps on the open end of the valves. They will either be 3/4" or 1/2" depending on the type. This is especially important with the TRV which could open during the night. Some TRVs come with a plastic cap to replace the sensor head for this purpose but you may not have these.

3. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

yes it is for decorating, thanks for the information

4. The Enforcer

The Enforcer New Member

Furthering on from this, how much water is there likely to be in a rad thats approx 3'x4' ?

I think i have 2 rads full of crud as the pipes leading to them are scalding but with the TRV's and Lockshields open nothing is happening. Ive opened the bleed valves and got water and when the do warm up (awfully slowly) they arent hot at all.

Going to take them outside and blast em with the hose !

To reattach it then do i just refitt the pipes, open the bleed valve and fill ?

5. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Like tgs says try and cap the outlets, I was knocking some tiles off on a job once and one hit the head of a trv, sheared off,not funny at the time trying to stop red hot water escaping.

6. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

TRV's usually come supplied with a service cap but most people lose 'em!

> To reattach it then do i just refitt the pipes, open
    the bleed valve and fill ?

yeah you do.

7. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Round & around we go, same old topic. Do a search first before you post.

8. The Enforcer

The Enforcer New Member

Hey Wongo- you'll see I didnt start this thread, I DID do a search, which answered my Q ! So I posted another Q on this thread? Whats your problem ?