Radiator replacement advice.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danielle93, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

No, I am not attempting this myself, just wanting some advice on the process/approximate cost for getting quotes (definitely been ripped off when people see a lone female! Ie. One quote for different job £1500, second and third quote £600 )

I have a bog standard old radiator in the bathroom that I want to replace with a shiney new towel rail, east you might say!

Nothing in this house is easy..

The house runs on a modern boiler but old microbore pipework. I don't have an issue with this, the heating works better than some newer ones and so far, no urgent pipework issues bar slight buckling of a pipe on an upstairs radiator. I know microbore is love hate but as I will be selling in the next year and barely two pennies to rub together, whole central heating replacement is not an option.

So, the new radiator has 15mm fittings, would the best option to be getting a microbore fitting OR replacing the run of pipework under the floor so it looks neater coming up out of the floor (not tiled at the moment so easy to get to pipework) and putting in a 15mm to 8mm converter under the floor (not sure the technical name but know they exist). Minimum disruption but also best outcome?

Considering the pipework is out and ready and won't need to be replaced, what kind of cost can I expect? (living oop north)

2. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

3. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

£283.38p :p

4. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Excellently accurate. Shall not accept a penny more.

5. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I mean, cut back old pipe work, fit reducer, add new pipes, elbow joint, radiator. Sounds a doddle.

6. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Is your central heating / boiler a pressurised sealed system ,or vented ( fed from a small tank in loft )?
    Is the system currently drained down ,is that what you mean by " pipework is out and ready " ?
    Is your old radiator a panel type ,and on a tiled wall ? If so ,if the wall is fully tiled behind it ,you will see several holes in your tiles once its brackets are removed.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

If possible always renew it from under the floor. Looks a far better job.
    If it’s a chrome towel rail also use chrome pipe and valves. Again it looks better.

Have you bought the new radiator?

8. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

It cannot be £600 to supply and fit a chrome towel rail!!!
    I can assure you a reasonably decent chrome plated towel rail can be bought for not a lot over £100 for smallish sizes and the work would not be expensive, even if it meant bringing new pipes up from floor or wall.
    Get a decent heating engineer to do it that works for a fair price.

9. xednim

xednim Active Member

even pimplico plumbers will charge less :)

10. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

If accessible, then I’d convert from 8mm to 15mm under floor and bring out 15mm to the rad. Loads of towel rads out there for not much money. Easy job, so be careful with quotes.

Danielle93 likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

The £600 quote was for a different job (not fitting the towel rail) as the OP states in her first paragraph

12. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Member

I would think £100 labour would be about right,plus the price of radiator and fittings.You could shop around yourself for the radiator to save money.

Danielle93 likes this.
  13. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Yes, I already have the towel rail ready to fit. System is not drained down, that'll be another fun job as when I had a broken downstairs radiator replaced they added fittings with no drain valve. o_O old radiator is not fixed to a tile wall just bare plaster right now (previously lovely vinyl wallpaper) It's chipboard floorboards that are relatively easy to remove. Can do all the patch up work myself once the radiator is replaced.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  14. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Active Member

See if you can find a plumber with an electric pipe freezing machine. That should mean he can just freeze the pipes under the floor and connect the new to the old without any draining down. Much quicker, and very little chance of air locks.

On the other hand, if you're selling it, just keep the radiator you've got.

15. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

Depending on the towel warmer size,a decent known brand like stelrad with decent radiator valves will cost more than chinese imports. There are many reasons why;)

£600 is reasonable for a supply quality items,alter pipes,inhibitor,test/balance system,fit floor back :(,dispose of the trash etc.

16. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

Not sure if the rip off quotes are necessarily a lone female thing - I get them too.
    It usually means they don't want to do the job, so they give you a price that they know you won't go for.

Danielle93 likes this.
  17. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Active Member

If I don't want the job, I politely tell them and leave. It's so much easier!

18. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

It had better not cost me £600 o_O , I could do a plumbing course and do it myself for less :D:D

19. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Yeah I had someone tell ne they needed to repaint my newly painted ceilings because my "wall and ceiling paint" wasn't the right stuff o_O

20. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

If it’s easy to lift the floor then this fairly simple job becomes even easier.
    You just need some chrome pipe and straight valves.
    A couple of hours labour is probably all that’s required.

Danielle93 likes this.