Radiator required for room 2.8m * 3m

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Fox Dev, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Fox Dev

Fox Dev New Member

Guys,

I need a radiator about 300mm high * 1400mm long to go under a window in my lounge - is there a way of working out the correct rad to buy i.e. single or double convector/BTUs etc?

Also can anyone recommend good reasonably priced rad suppliers please.

Many Thanks

james.

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

You are working backwards. You don't specify the size of the radiator first and then work out the heat output that you need. You need the height of the room as well as the length and width. From these measurements you work out the volume of the room. Then you determine to what temperature you would like to heat the room. You then look at the chart to determine the BTUs required, adjust this figure to take account of special features e.g. you add 10% for excessive glass, 10% for two external walls, 10% for northern aspect. Now you can select asuitable radiator.

BB

3. Fox Dev

Fox Dev New Member

Thanks BB,

The room is 2800 * 3000 * 2200.
    I want primary heating source
    There is a french door size 2200 * 2100 with 24mm low e glazing units and a window 2000 * 1500 with 24mm low e glazing units.

There is a space under the window where i would like the rad of 380 * 1800.

Is there anything else required? Also where is the chart you referred to please.

Many many thanks again

James

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I would suggest approximately 3,300 BTU but this is not exact. Choose a suitable sized radiator to give this output. If you are going to have a thermostatic radiator valve, you can oversize the radiator and the valve will control the heat output. Otherwise if you oversize or undersize the radiator, the room will not be maintained at a comfortable temperature.

BB

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The BTU that I suggested is based on heating the room to 20 degrees centigrade.

BB

6. simple way of doing heat req is room volume (cu M) mulpipy by 0.04 to give answer in KW. then simply transfer this to rad spec on suplliers charts.

UPsize by 50% if room have large heat loss.

7. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

If you tell me how many external walls you have, the make of wall eg brick cavity, floor make, solid, wood, suspended, ceiling make, I will calculate the heatloss for this room, with computer software that I have, you should work in kW, we are metric now

8. i'll tell you waht Real plumber do it my simple way, volume x 0.4, and then try getting computer to work out U valves, heat losses, etc, and see how close they are! Dont forget type & size of windows!

9. volume x 0.04 (still cant type!)

10. tgs

tgs New Member

What mostly affects the size of rad required will be how many outside walls and what's above the ceiling. If you have only one outside wall and a heated room above then 3500-4000 btus would be enough. If the room is an extension with a flat roof above then you would need around 6000 btus.

If your situation is the former then Screwfix's 300 x 1400 double would probably be more than adequate.

11. นิà¸

นิภNew Member

if you know what size rad you want based upon looks and not heat output then go get a plumb centre trade catalogue, in there there are sizing charts listing all the rads they offer etc, its the way i chose what rad to order everytime, even if i dont get them from plumby