Radiator system header tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BigJobber1, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Hello

I noticed an overflow pipe from the loft dripping recently. I had a look and it leads into the radiator header tank I believe. The ballvalve is dripping a bit but also when I push it down no water comes out ? Like it’s blocked ? any ideas what to do ? Also no inhibitor has been added for years, should I pour some straight into this tank. Thanks very much for any help.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Depressing the ball valve should certainly allow water to flow to fill the tank up; the overflow pipe may be dripping as the central heating water heats up and expands.
    Is the header tank dirty inside? You might want to consider emptying and cleaning it, but you don't want crude going to the pipes.
    Look at a Magnaclean 2 and install one, fill system adding a bottle of X.800 to clean it, let circulate for a few days cleaning the magnaclean frequently. Drain and rinse system out before refilling and adding either X.100/X.900 or Adey MC1+ (cheaper option)

3. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Thanks very much, I wasn’t sure how the tank would refill if the water doesn’t come out of the ballvalve spout ?

4. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

If the ball valve isn't working then you can certainly rule out that it's not causing the f + e tank to overflow, although that is a separate job that needs replacing.
    Personally I'd empty 4inch of water from the tank and monitor it. If the water level refills to overflow level then you're probably going to need a heating engineer. Could be several reasons but it's common for the coil in the hot water cylinder to corrode meaning the water mixes and will cause the the water level to rise

5. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Ok thanks very much. The ballvalve is dripping which also why maybe the radiator overflow is dripping. Although I’m not sure why the ballvalve doesn’t allow water to pass either ?

6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Is there a valve in the supply to the ball valve? If so, make sure it's not turned off.

If the water level is up to the overflow when the system is running, there is too much water in the tank. Remove an inch or two of water with a jug. If thw ball valve then opens to let more water in bend the valve shaft down a bit.

7. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

ok thanks, I don't want to empty too much water out as yet as I'm not sure how I can refill it if the ballvalve doesn't work, thanks for you help

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

The ball valve should be fed from the mains water supply so if there's nothing coming out there must be a blockage somewhere...or a valve has been turned off.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Or possibly a rotten washer/diaphragm/seal that has stuck in place and the mains pressure is not enough to dislodge it.

10. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

1st job is to replace the ball valve then. You can just change the washer and seating in the part 1 / part 2 valve but for what they cost, it's just as easy to replace the full valve.