radiator

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by tornado 1, Nov 12, 2017.

1. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

the key for bleeding the rads just doesnt fit all , (old radiators) goes in but slips round .

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post photo, a lot of old bleed screws on old radiators are brass,so easy to round off, & difficult to remove then.

[​IMG]

3. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

thank you .our rads have a 6 sided nut sticking out and a 4 sided inner where the rad key goes on .of the six rads we have only 1 that goes in nice and turns .

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-11-12_12-5-8.jpeg

Radiator Directional Bleed Valve Air Vent you can buy replacements.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

does the outer nut need to come off and replaced (if possible ) .

6. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

thank you .i dont think the part in the picture will go in the round hole ,as the thread looks to big.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo.

The thread will be 1/2 BSP on the radiator, same as Bleed Valve Air Vent above.
    If iron radiator then it might be a larger odd ball BSP thread.

8. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

ok, the bleedscrew goes in nicely on most , but one radiator doesnt go in far.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. tornado 1

tornado 1 New Member

thank you again, for your posts, have ordered and quickly recieved 1/8inch brass bleed air vents for rads fron :stevensons plumbing bt20 3pn of bangor down .

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Glad you got sorted.[​IMG]

A good firm & helpful.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Hammer a small socket on.. Done 2 like that and it works.. Soft brass just moulds to socket.. nothing to loose..

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Was that a deliberate pun?

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No.. I took a rad off as requested. Then I was told the bung was stuck and been like it for years.. Dam.. Done my nut... I heated and tried long nose pliers but nothing would shift it.. They were blaming me and said I should sort. So I thought cit or bust and hammered a tiny socket on. Instantly it became loose.. Think my spelling is off.. Loose or lose..nothing to lose I ment.. Cit or bust.whack it