Rads too hot to touch

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adamfya, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Hello, looking for some knowledge and expertise!!
    Recently noticed rads are getting very very hot. Way to hot to touch.
    British Gas 330 or is it gloworm flexicom boiler.... vented system. Hot water seems to be normal temp. Although sometimes seem to run out if hot water without necessarily using more..? Stat on hot water tank set to about 75 I think. Boiler temp was set at 78 last night, dropped that down to 70. Rads still felt blinking hot first thing...
    Have drained down several times this year for adding and adjusting pipe work, but all seemed fine after works done...

What temp should the boiler be set at and is 78 the default setting after power off etc??
    Boiler stat a possible issue???

Thanks in advance...

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Temp is set by boiler settings. Hotter rads warm rooms quicker. Boiler is switched off when room temp is reached. Why are you bothered by hot rads

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

set the boiler CH temp to around 60-65 degrees

4. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

Set to 60-65 as I-man says, and then DON'T touch them.

Abrickie likes this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

A condensing boiler runs more efficiently the cooler it is (within reason), 60 degrees is about right - too low and it won't heat the hot water sufficiently!

Baxi Boy likes this.
  6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Definitely try turning the boiler setting a bit lower.
    But make sure the cylinder stat is set lower than the boiler otherwise it won’t get satisfied when calling.

7. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Water tank temp is way to high, and turn boiler heating temp down to 60-65 is normal. Radiators are meant to get hot to the touch, particularly when first turned in, once you reach stat temp they will be more steady temp. Most people complain that are not warm enough

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Hi. As I think they are excessively hot!!

9. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Perfect thanks all for the tips. Il adjust settings when I get home and monitor over the next few days

10. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Would the 78 be a default on setting after power cut etc??

11. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

So, turned watet temp down on boiler to 63 and set temp on tank stat to 60, rads are definitely not so aggressive now, thing is hot water seems to be in short supply. We have noticed this morr recently, water seems hot, just not enough of it!
    I've had an issue before with the synchro? Motor on top of the 3 way, could the valve and or the control head be causing me issues??