Rafter replacement cost and conversion of flat roof to pitched

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bcpgst, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Bcpgst

Bcpgst New Member

We haven't yet bought the house but the house we wish to buy needs some work. The house is an old victorian 3 bed detached. There are possibly two end rafters that may need replacing due to slates letting in water for a long period of time. There are areas where the lead flashing needs replacing and it would most likely need complete new guttering too. Does anyone know roughly what that may cost? Lastly, There is a flat roof over the bathroom which has a concrete top that we wish to convert into a pitched roof. Any ideas roughly what this may cost? Thanks in advance! Becca

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Difficult to give a price without actually seeing it, so many if's & but's, as you may find other problems,due to the time the water has been getting into roof,flat roof isn't too difficult to remove, but it's overall condition if poor might make job a bit longer, due to it's possible complete collaspe.

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

To convert a flat roof to a pitched roof you are going to need building control involvement and may also in some circumstances need planning permission as well. I would start with these two first. You don't want to be getting prices if the project is a non starter or once you have quotes building control tell you it has to be a done a different way to the builders quote.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A lot of cases they will want planning permission changing from a flat to pitch roofm & comply with Building Regulations.

5. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

It is impossible to give a price on a forum.
    Get a couple of rough estimates and advice from a couple of local builders.
    This should then give you an idea if it is going to be worthwhile to proceed and purchase the property.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Being cynical, I would assume a rough price is required in order to use that figure to try to devalue the asking price of the house.

Deleted member 164349 and Bcpgst like this.
  7. Is this pitched roof purely for cosmetic reasons - ie built over the concrete one?

Far too many variables involved, but - depending on location - surely nothing exceptional required here? Would - ooh - (this is completely orf top of 'ead) - £4-5k be a ballpark?

That's a complete stab.

8. I think a house survey would be the best starting point. If it is a real issue and the price of the house isn't cheap enough already, then I would walk away.

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Bcpgst

Bcpgst New Member

The flat roof is causing damp where it is joined to the house. It may be resolved with new lead flashing, but should repair need to be done to the flat roof its self because of the damp on the ceiling, it has a concrete top which apparently builders no longer do and therefore would need to be replaced with a pitched roof. I am only after a rough estimate so i am able to use it as a rough figure against the asking price when making my offer.

10. Bcpgst

Bcpgst New Member

The flat roof is covered with concrete and that is sitting against the side of the house which is now very damp. Under the flat roof in the bathroom there is water resting on the ceiling. We are unsure if it is the roof leaking but we have been told builders no longer do flat roofs especially ones covered with a concrete top. We would then need to have it replaced with a pitched roof so it could be repaired. However, there is a very high possibility that it may be just down the lead flashing as it is not healthy looking. I just want a rough figure for worst case scenario to use against the asking price when making the offer. If its £4-5k "off the top of your head" for that how much roughly would it be to replace one or two sets of rafters and then obviously retiling and putting up new fascias and soffits as it has practically non around the whole house; bar a few planks of wood behind the guttering because thats all that is there.

Thanks for the rough figure though :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Always best to remove concrete roofs, got one here & the steel rebar has rusted out in places & popping off the concrete, because the water has got into it, I removed part of it a few years ago, but time has come for the rest to go.
    The section against house wall wasn't even tied into the wall, but just butted up,(poor workmanship) so it was self supporting, with cracks in it, it was only a matter of time before it came crashing down.

12. The reason I asked whether it was cosmetic is - if this were me - I'd plonk a pitched roof over the concrete one to keep it dry and to imporve the house's cosmetics, and just add insulation to the underside of the bathroom ceiling to sort out the 'cold' issue (which no doubt exists).

Jobbie jobbed.

I - personally - wouldn't disturb BC over this since it is what I said, a largely cosmetic issue. Once BC is involved, it will be 'plans' and 'specs' and old roof offski, and new one constructed to yae standard...

My 'ballpark' therefore included replacing a couple of rafters and sh**. If a builder/roofer does it all, then it's cheaper than getting them in specifically for a 'sort rotten rafter' job.

My ballpark is very crude - I have no idea what sort of quotes you will get. But it surely can't be too far off? Give or take another couple of £k...

13. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

A change of over 25% to a roof HAS to be passed by building control.

Changing a flat to a pitched roof is going to cost more that £4.5k. There is the initial costs of the building notice, creating the drawings, waste removal, any staging or scaffolding required to work from and you haven't even done any construction yet.

You could be looking at around double that figure

KIAB likes this.