Raise floor and build wall for courtyard conservatory conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ReX83, May 20, 2018.

1. ReX83

ReX83 New Member

First post here - so hello all :).

I intend to convert a small courtyard (5.5m * 2m) into a conservatory (with glass roof and brick wall) to use as utility room.

The courtyard itself is the result of an unusual layout: the property is a Victorian middle terrace house that was fully renovated, including a new rear full-width extension, but the developer left the structure of the kitchen to the original width, creating a sort of courtyard self-enclosed between the dining room, the kitchen and the house on the left. There is a brick wall ( about 2m high) that separates the courtyard from the neighbour. The picture attached shows the courtyard from the dining room window.

I suspect I cannot raise this wall further and hope for it to hold the weight of the glass roof, since it is single line brick, with questionable foundations (if any). In addition the insulation would be very poor.

The final result I am aiming to is something like this (even if a flat roof would be nicer):
    http://homerenovationn.gdn/elegant-.../elegant-victorian-terrace-extension-costs_4/

I have two options in mind:
    1. keep and raise the wall and reinforce it from the inside with a timber structure that can also hold the glass roof (something like in the link above).
    2. dismantle the wall and build a new one with low weight concrete building blocks.

In both cases I would put insulation on the inside and maybe a thin layer of brickwork cladding.

Depending on the solidity of the wall, I will raise the floor with joists over the 2 meters sitting on timber to masonry hangers - if it makes sense.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Attached Files: