Raising an IKEA Bed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I got an IKEA Malm bed. I like the bed, but the weakness it has is it sits low, so stops you storing stuff under the bed.

Current height you get under the bed is 13cm. Looking to rise this by about 5cm.

The weight of the bed is held across the front and the back of the bed,so will run two pieces of timber underneath these sections to bring it up.

What is my best option in regards to the fixing plates to attach the new pieces of timber to the existing bed ?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

IM

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They do a high version of the Malm,has two storage drawers.:)

Looking at Malm I would make a riser the width of the bed, for the head & foot of bed.
    Say 75mm x 75mm (maybe be out abit) with a rebated slot for head/foot to sit in.

What about casters?

Iron_Mike likes this.
  3. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers KIAB

I got it second hand for a spare room. As it is the spare room, I have done my best to source everything second hand.

The bed base is 50mm thick, so I saw that Wickes did have some timber in 49mm x 49mm. But I think the extra couple of cm from the 75mm wouldn't hurt.

Castors could be another feature I could add for added height. Need to find ones that have a reliable locking feature, as you don't want to be on a bed that could set off in the middle of the night !

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Bed base may be 50mm thick but unlikely there’s anything solid to fix into

Panels look chunky but I bet they’re lightweight ?

Not made from MDF or chipboard but more like wheatabix. Could possibly simply glue on new timber but if moving bed out on occasion, and if on carpet, may not be successful

Look at cross dowels and bolts for fixing new timber to bed base. These fixings are probably what holds bed together anyway

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

4” screw into the base in each corner. Job done.

Or a matching mfc offcut screwed to the inside top and bottom. I would set it in by 50mm each side. (Bit of kitchen plinth would be suitable).

Iron_Mike likes this.
  7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Last edited: May 25, 2019