Raising uneven concrete floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris_CAAM, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

After some advice from you knowledgeable folks out there .

I need to raise the level of an uneven and not level concrete floor up to the same as the kitchen floor and make sure its level. Looking at between 20mm and 50mm increase to bring it up and level it.

I would be really grateful for any ideas on how best to do this. Its a 1960's ex council house so not sure if there is any sort of dpm under the existing concrete, but im guessing probably not.

Have looked at self levelling compounds but i think that route would cost a fortune.

So there ya go, my problem for now.

Thanks all

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How big is the area.

A bonded screed can be laid at 25mm minimum thickness, add poly fibre to the mix will impprove it's overall performance.

3. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Haha.. good point!! Sorry, the actual floor area is about 4.4 sq m in total....

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

My house was built in 1964 and there is a clear plastic bpm under concrete. It's rather thin but there. You may have one to? Damp meters are cheap but a flooring firm will test and advise plus sort out. Try a local tiler as they can do it. I myself would just test for damp. Put plastic down if needed then concrete. If needed you can possibly put a self leveller over the whole lot. That's within my own skills and maybe yours...

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Concrete won't last at 25mm thickness.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would cost a fortune leveling compound.

What will be the finish surface for kitchen floor, if vinyl floor, then you could use a screed & finish off with a compound at a few millimetres to give you a levelling surface free of any imperfections which might show through with a screed.

Chris_CAAM likes this.
  7. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Yeah that was my view. Think I will have a blast at a bonded screed .

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And use SBR/cement slurry as bonding agent for screeds/renders, & it can also be added to the screed has many advantages, resistance to dusting,thinner screeds,harder wearing,reduce cracking to name a few.

Poly fibre can be bought off Amazon or Ebay.

SBR Guide.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj717XTotnVAhWIWRoKHSdkCA8QFghNMAA&url=https://www.permagard.co.uk/media/uploads/SBR%20Bonding%20Additive%20Data%20Sheet.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEpwzVS7wtQFOt8lmE8JaPO1A1mlA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...V2.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEjT9Z7EtoJDt0K0kddDOjm8nd5IA

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  9. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Presume i coat the existing concrete floor with SBR then screed over the top once dry??

Noticed Travis Perkins do the poly fibre... but if amazon is cheaper, then all the better haha.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Youre a gent . Thats all very helpful. Will be my first go at a screed floor so all great info. Thank you so much .