Rake angle of a staircase ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Feb 26, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Like the glass company will be that accurate.
    Full-size template is all that's needed made out of 6mm MDF.

2. Glass is for windows.
    Spindles and a handrail are for staircases.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Umm, that's what I said :p, but wandering around with an 8' x 8' template is a lot harder than doing a quick calc :p:p

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not going to be 8' x 8' though is it?

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

no prob a bit of an exagerration, but a fulls size tempalte is quite big......

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's the size of the glass not the staircase :):)

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You make the template the size you want the glass to fit your staircase by making the template fit your staircase and then the glazier cuts the glass to your template and then it fits the staircase. No calculating, no errors, it's how you do glass.

ginger tuffs likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Chip, you're 100% right if your glass man is close by - and I'll be taking a template to my local glass supplier for an arch I need, but DVDDVD is looking at online supplier for 15mm toughened, so being able to do the simple maths to work out the exact angle is helpful. It's easy to measure distance to the nearest mm, and the horizontal distance divided into the vertical distance gives you an exact and accurate angle you could order against with confidence.

10. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

at least someone no how to deal with glass if template right glass will be right

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I know and that's what he did 3 pages ago but everyone told him he was wrong.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

He's buying online. The company want to know the angle. Templates are fine if you can take the template to the supplier, but in this case templates are a distraction. dvd is asking how to do the maths. He isn't wrong - with two sides of the RA triangle just use a simple calculation and you have the angle.
    answer post #2 was the right one! - trigonometry!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If all else fails - make a full size template and then measure it and produce a scale drawing with lengths and angles all shown.